Minutes for Meeting of April 1st, 2010
- April 15th, 2010
- Diego Escalante Urrelo
- Brian Cameron
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Jorge Castro
- Rosanna Yuen
- Srinivasa Ragavan
- Stormy Peters
- Vincent Untz
- Paul Cutler
- Review past action items.
- Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
- Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
- Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
- Update foundation.gnome.org website.
- When will Foundation board and advisory board meetings be held at GUADEC?
- The board meeting - on Sunday.
- The advisory board meeting - on the Tuesday before the conference.
- ACTION - Stormy to confirm having the advisory board meeting on the Tuesday before the conference with the advisory board and confirm.
- Vote on the new Code of Conduct
- Add changes proposed by Brian and Murray and then vote.
- ACTION - Vincent - Announce that the new Code of Conduct is approved
- Hackfest sponsorships
- Travel requests for the Marketing hackfest were approved by the board.
- Codethink interested in sponsoring snacks at the PyGTK hackfest.
- Finding a volunteer for the remaining Texas Instruments Zoom2 device.
- Three applications have been received.
- The board has not yet started the process of reviewing the applications.
- ACTION - Brian to review the proposals for the TI Zoom2 project and start discussion with the board to make a decision.
- Budget for Brazilian Events
- Brian sent Jonh Wendell an email requesting a more detailed budget before decisions are made.
- Jonh Wendell is looking at how to increase sponsorships in Brazil.
- ACTION - Brian follow up with Jonh Wendell and find out if he needs anything soon for Brazilian event planning.
- Charles Kerr donated money to Friends of GNOME some time ago and has not received his gift.
- On Rosanna's TODO list for next week.
- Board performance review and surveys
- ACTION - Diego to send out the performance review emails to the board and start the process.
- Friends of GNOME Ruler
- In March we raised $5,173! Double what we got in February!
- People love the ruler.
- ACTION - Paul - When we reach the Friends of GNOME goal, put a thank you banner up there instead. Save the ruler for the next set of goals. Next time we should consider counting badges, or number of subscribers so it is not always just measuring money.
- Sysadmin hiring
- ACTION - Vincent will ping Bradley Kuhn to see if he can lead the team to interview sysadmin candidates.
- Events in Africa
- FOSS Nigeria in Kano, Nigeria (April 23-25)
- Luis de Bethencourt is now unable to represent GNOME at this event.
- Alberto Ruiz is now planning to represent GNOME.
- Codethink would like a press release before and after mentioning them.
- Idlelo, an open source event in Accra, Ghana (May 17-21).
- Ben Konrath and Fernando Herrera will be representing GNOME.
ACTION - Vincent & Germán - To set up a meeting to plan for upcoming events in Africa and ensure that Ben Konrath and Alberto Ruiz can attend.
- FOSS Nigeria in Kano, Nigeria (April 23-25)
- Kudos to the GNOME community for a successful GNOME 2.30 release!
- The GNOME Foundation is now switching to use a teleconferencing number provided by Intel. Much thanks to Intel for helping the GNOME Foundation by providing this service. Also, much thanks to Sun Microsystems and Oracle for having provided this service for the past several years.
- Meeting minutes for 7 board meetings from 2004-2007 were written but never published.
- ACTION - Brian will publish the missing meeting minutes
Behdad - Tasked with scrubbing the GnuCash file so it can be made public. This task is no longer relevant since the GNOME budget will be detailed enough for the public when we start publishing it once a month, so the need to share the GnuCash file directly with the public is no longer needed.
- Brian - Follow up with Jonh Wendell and find out if he needs anything soon for Brazilian event planning. Done shortly after the meeting.
- Germán - Put together a proposal for how to address board members who become inactive. Done shortly after the meeting.
- Jorge - Will ping J5 to coordinate what is necessary to improve PyGTK+ maintainership. Now the PyGTK+ hackfest is being planned to address this.
- Paul - The Friends of GNOME sysadmin announcement still has not been done. Lucas seems ready. Paul will follow up.
- Paul - Will ping the a11y team for photos of users with GNOME using accessibility solutions.
Rosanna - Will send a new updated version of the GnuCash file soon.
- Srini - Will respond to Juan José Marin about the SWOT analysis he provided, provide feedback, and work out the next steps.
- Srini - Send out the GUADEC call-for-hosts, and the next meeting will be an IRC meeting to discuss. This is done. Srini has the meeting logs, but these are not yet published in the wiki. Yet to format and upload and announce the meeting logs.
- Stormy - To propose a case study on how the improvements The GNOME Foundation made with bugzilla made a difference as input for the marketing materials for why the Foundation needs to hire a system administrator. Max sent a write-up. Working with the GNOME Journal folks to turn it into a GNOME Journal article. Will go out in the next GNOME Journal.
- Sumana Harihareswara wrote it up
- Stormy - Will set up a "Wish List" Wiki page to highlight things that the GNOME community needs help with funding with a link from Friends of GNOME. Done shortly after the meeting.
- Stormy - Will update the surveys for doing the board of directors performance reviews to reflect the change in board members.
Stormy - File a bug in bugzilla about addressing outstanding GnuCash automation issues.
- Stormy and Jorge - Will seek sponsors for the PyGTK+ and Marketing hackfests. Jorge sent out the email.
Vincent - Touch base with Matthew Garrett and with the GNOME community to determine how the GNOME Code of Conduct needs to be enhanced to reflect speakers. Ongoing. First draft is available, need to push this. Vincent sent a ping to put this on the wiki for public review. Draft published at http://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct/SpeakerGuidelines and will announce it to the membership for review next week. Need to announce on foundation-list the wiki page.
Status of Action Items
- Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME legal team.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- Diego - Taken over from Stormy. Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing and ask for comments.
- Diego - Will lead the board member review process: pick a date, send reminders and coordinate with Stormy the missing members surveys.
- Diego - Will help Stormy to organize the Zaragoza event.
- Diego - Will organize a press release for giving $60 to OSUOSL.
- Jorge - Will work with Ubuntu volunteers to find people to run the Texas Linux Fest booth.
- Jorge - Will send an email seeking hackfest sponsorships from the advisory board.
- Jorge - Taken over from Lucas - Work to ensure that Foundation members sign the GNOME Code of Conduct, and make it a requirement that new Foundation members need to sign this. Lucas completed a draft currently under review, tarted discussion on foundation list, got a lot comments and feedback, and summarized the discussion points. The board seems to be still interested in proposing Code of Conduct as an official guideline for Foundation members as a way have a more clear message about the values of the GNOME community.
- Jorge - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad.
Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken over from Behdad.
- Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
- Rosanna - Will check who received the 2008 Annual Report and send an email to board-list letting everybody know who received them.
- Rosanna - Will pay $60 to OSUOSL.
- Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive responses. Will follow up with others and schedule a meeting.
- Stormy - To follow up with the Advisory Board about acquiring a second machine. Email sent, but no response yet.
- Stormy - Set up a Euro bank account.
- Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct. Waiting for Jorge's action on Code of Conduct.
- Vincent - Follow-up with Intel to determine what to do about copyright assignment for clutter. Waiting for an official update from Intel. Ongoing
- Vincent - Follow up with Michael Meeks and Bradley Kuhn to see if there is an interest in defining a policy the release team can follow to know whether a project with a copyright assignment requirement can be accepted or not. What sorts of copyright assignments are acceptable? Status: Bradley is working on an updated draft.
- Vincent - Create a Philosophy page on the GNOME Wiki.
New Action Items
- Brian - To review the proposals for the TI Zoom2 project and start discussion with the board to make a decision.
- Brian - The minutes for 7 board meetings from 2004 to 2007 were never published. Brian will publish these minutes.
- Diego - To send out the performance review emails to the board and start the process.
- Paul - When we reach the Friends of GNOME goal, put a thank you banner up there instead. Save the ruler for the next set of goals. Next time we should consider counting badges, or number of subscribers so it is not always just measuring money.
- Stormy - To confirm having the advisory board meeting on the Tuesday before the conference with the advisory board and confirm.
- Vincent - Announce that the new Code of Conduct is approved
- Vincent - Will ping Bradley Kuhn to see if he can lead the team to interview sysadmin candidates.
Vincent & Germán - To set up a meeting to plan for upcoming events in Africa and ensure that Ben Konrath and Alberto Ruiz can attend.
Discussed on the Mailing List
- The board voted and approved to give both Stormy Peters and Rosanna Yuen access to the GNOME Foundation bank accounts. Previously only Rosanna had access.
- Final vote and approval for Dave Neary's plan to provide GNOME training at GUADEC 2010.
- Germán composed guidelines for expectations of board members and how to deal with inactive board members.
- James Vasille and Brian Cameron have finished putting together a new Commercial Trademark Exploitation agreement. Sent to the board to review.
- Planning for the Foundation IRC meeting on March 27th.
- Stormy was asked to keynote at a PHP conference. The board approved that she do this.
- Discussion about providing funding for upcoming Brazilian GNOME events, the GSettings hackfest, the Marketing hackfest (at Zaragoza, Spain), and the Python Bindings hackfest.
- Luis de Bethencourt can no longer go to the GNOME event in Nigeria. Alberto Ruiz will now be going.
- Discussion regarding setting up the new Friends of GNOME ruler.
- Discussion about announcing the Friends of GNOME sysadmin campaign, and the board has started to receive applications for the position.
- The GNOME Foundation is running low on medium sized t-shirts for Friends of GNOME. Discussing ordering new shirts.
- Planning for making the SWOT analysis from Juan José Marin available to the public.
- Brian proposed an idea for a t-shirt for GNOME volunteers.
- Discussion about how to make best use of the remaining Texas Instruments Zoom2 device.
- Final review of the proposed "Employee Handbook" before asking the legal team to review it. Once the board gets an approval from the legal team, we plan to share it on the public foundation list for community comment before approving it.
Discussion about The CEO Goals & Bonuses document before sharing it on the public foundation list.
- Trading emails with David Maxwell at Coverity to re-establish contact and to determine who their appropriate GNOME contact should be.
- Plans to switch teleconferencing service from Sun Microsystems number to one provided by Intel.
- The GNOME Foundation Minutes page for board meetings has been updated so it is more complete and extends back to the year 2000.
- Got a brief update on GUADEC 2008 finances. Some issues still pending.