Minutes for Meeting of March 18th, 2010
- April 1st, 2010
- Brian Cameron
- Germán Póo-Caamaño
- Jorge Castro
- Paul Cutler
- Rosanna Yuen
- Srinivasa Ragavan
- Stormy Peters
- Vincent Untz
- Diego Escalante
- Review past action items.
- Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
- Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
- Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
- Update foundation.gnome.org website.
- The board approved to send Brian's propsoal for CEO Goals and bonus plan to the foundation-list.
ACTION: Stormy file a bug in bugzilla about addressing outstanding GnuCash automation issues.
ACTION: Paul will work to prioritize getting the GnuCash automation finished.
- Friends of GNOME sysadmin announcement
- ACTION: Paul explained that the Friends of GNOME sysadmin announcement still has not been done. Lucas seems ready. Paul will follow up.
- Annual Report Update
- Paul intends to have the 2010 Annual Report done in the next month.
- The 2010 Annual Report should be ready in two weeks to know the details to prepare for printing. The board should decide how to handle printing at the next meeting.
- ACTION: Paul will ping the a11y team for photos of users with GNOME using accessibility solutions.
- Jonh Wendell made a request to the GNOME Foundation to fund Brazilian GNOME events for $4000-$5500.
- According to the budget for the current fiscal year, the Brazilian organizers have used almost all the budget assigned to them. However, there is a surplus from the previous fiscal year that may be used exceptionally in well justified situations. When the board prepared the budget for the present year our intention was not to spend more money than we can get in a term.
- ACTION: Brian will send an email to Jonh Wendell to provide a more detailed budget for events in Brazil and to encourage the local GNOME team to assist with raising more money.
- The Idlelo Conference, a large (500 people) open source event in Accra, Ghana (May 17-21).
- Plan to send two people. One to run the booth and the other to provide training.
- Can either send Ben Konrath or Stormy to run the booth.
- Fernando Herrera will be doing the training.
- ACTION: Vincent will organize a meeting with Ben Konrath to discuss plans for Idlelo.
- ACTION: Jorge will send an email seeking hackfest sponsorships from the advisory board.
- GSettings Hackfest
- May need $1,000 for hotel. Ryan Lortie is looking into this.
- PyGTK+ Hackfest
- Going to be in Boston. Found a location at the OLPC offices in Kendell Square.
- Who to send to Texas Linux Fest on April 10th.
- Stormy pinged Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier to see if he can be the lead coordinator for the booth. Zonker quickly confirmed that he can do this.
- ACTION: Jorge will work with Ubuntu volunteers to find people to run the Texas Linux Fest booth.
- A warm welcome was extended to new board member Paul Cutler.
- Board Performance Reviews
- ACTION: Stormy will update the surveys for doing the board of directors performance reviews to reflect the change in board members.
- ACTION: Diego will send an email letting board members know about the board performance review process, and kick off the process.
- The GNOME Foundation recently received a SWOT analysis from Juan José Marin.
- ACTION: Srini will respond to Juan José Marin about the SWOT analysis he provided, provide feedback, and work out the next steps.
- Code of Conduct and the Speaker Guidelines
- The board decided to vote to approve the proposed Code of Conduct and Speaker Guidelines at the next board meeting, and to require new Foundation members to sign them. Foundation members are encouraged to provide any feedback, ideas, or concerns before the next board meeting.
- Brian - Send out CEO Goals and bonus plan document to the foundation list on March 18th. Actually sent out on the 19th.
- Brian - will send an email to Jonh Wendell to provide a more detailed budget for events in Brazil and to encourage the local GNOME team to assist with raising more money. This new action item was done shortly after the meeting.
- Vincent - Start the bidding process and press release for co-location in 2011. All published.
- Vincent - Will find people to attend the Free Software and Open Source Foundation for Africa in Ghana and Idlelo events. Done: Fernando Herrera will do the training, and Ben Konrath will likely go for the main event.
- Vincent - Will touch base with Paul about the sysadmin announcement and the financial report. Obsolete: the ruler to raise money went live after the meeting.
- Everyone - Finish making comments about Stormy's CEO goals and bonus plan by March 17th.
Status of action items
Behdad - Tasked with scrubbing the GnuCash file so it can be made public. Behdad sent a scrubbed GnuCash file to Rosanna to check, but still pending.
Behdad - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into GnuCash. Rosanna sent Behdad a sample of incoming PayPal information looks like and has shown how it should be incorporated into the GnuCash file. Behdad is now looking into this. (Rosanna to send this to Stormy to include in the bugzilla report.)
Behdad - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation.
- Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME legal team.
- Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
- Diego - Taken over from Stormy. Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the community. Diego will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing and ask for comments.
- Diego - Will lead the board member review process: pick a date, send reminders and coordinate with Stormy the missing members surveys.
- Diego - Will help Stormy to organize the Zaragoza event.
- Diego - Will organize a press release for giving $60 to OSUOSL.
- Germán - Put together a proposal for how to address board members who become inactive. Still pending.
- Jorge - Will ping J5 to coordinate what is necessary to improve PyGTK+ maintainership.
- Jorge - Taken over from Lucas - Work to ensure that Foundation members sign the GNOME Code of Conduct, and make it a requirement that new Foundation members need to sign this. Lucas completed a draft currently under review, tarted discussion on foundation list, got a lot comments and feedback, and summarized the discussion points. The board seems to be still interested in proposing Code of Conduct as an official guideline for Foundation members as a way have a more clear message about the values of the GNOME community.
- Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
- Rosanna - Will check who received the 2008 Annual Report and send an email to board-list letting everybody know who received them.
Rosanna - Will send a new updated version of the GnuCash file soon.
- Rosanna - Will pay $60 to OSUOSL.
- Srini - Send out the GUADEC call-for-hosts, and the next meeting will be an IRC meeting to discuss. This is done. Srini has the meeting logs, but these are not yet published in the wiki. Yet to format and upload and announce the meeting logs. Leaving this as an open action item until the logs are available.
- Stormy - To propose a case study on how the improvements The GNOME Foundation made with bugzilla made a difference as input for the marketing materials for why the Foundation needs to hire a system administrator. Max sent a write-up. Working with the GNOME Journal folks to turn it into a GNOME Journal article. Will go out in the next GNOME Journal.
- Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive responses. Will follow up with others and schedule a meeting.
- Stormy - To follow up with the Advisory Board about acquiring a second machine. Email sent, but no response yet.
- Stormy - Will set up a "Wish List" Wiki page to highlight things that the GNOME community needs help with funding with a link from Friends of GNOME.
- Stormy - Taken over from Lucas - Set up a Euro bank account.
- Stormy and Jorge - Will seek sponsors for the PyGTK+ and Marketing hackfests.
Vincent - Touch base with Matthew Garrett and with the GNOME community to determine how the GNOME Code of Conduct needs to be enhanced to reflect speakers. Ongoing. First draft is available, need to push this. Vincent sent a ping to put this on the wiki for public review. Draft published at http://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct/SpeakerGuidelines and will announce it to the membership for review next week. Need to announce on foundation-list the wiki page.
- Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct. Waiting for Jorge's action on Code of Conduct.
- Vincent - Follow-up with Intel to determine what to do about copyright assignment for clutter. Waiting for an official update from Intel. Ongoing
- Vincent - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Ongoing.
- Vincent - Follow up with Michael Meeks and Bradley Kuhn to see if there is an interest in defining a policy the release team can follow to know whether a project with a copyright assignment requirement can be accepted or not. What sorts of copyright assignments are acceptable? Status: Bradley is working on an updated draft.
- Vincent - Create a Philosophy page on the GNOME Wiki.
New Action Items
- Diego - will send an email letting board members know about the board performance review process, and kick off the process.
- Jorge - will work with Ubuntu volunteers to find people to run the Texas Linux Fest booth.
- Jorge - will send an email seeking hackfest sponsorships from the advisory board.
Paul - will work to prioritize getting the GnuCash automation finished.
- Paul - the Friends of GNOME sysadmin announcement still has not been done. Lucas seems ready. Paul will follow up.
- Paul - will ping the a11y team for photos of users with GNOME using accessibility solutions.
- Srini - will respond to Juan José Marin about the SWOT analysis he provided, provide feedback, and work out the next steps.
Stormy - file a bug in bugzilla about addressing outstanding GnuCash automation issues.
- Stormy will update the surveys for doing the board of directors performance reviews to reflect the change in board members.
- Vincent - will organize a meeting with Ben Konrath to discuss plans for Idlelo.
Discussed on the mailing list
- Discussion about Behdad Esfahbod stepping down from the board and Paul Cutler replacing him.
- Bruno Boaventura sent an email to the board explaining that there are plans to update the Foundation membership application form to make it more simple.
Magnatune is sending a $614.20 check to GNOME Foundation for RhythmBox related sales.
- Jonh Wendell requested $4,000 to cover costs associated with Brazilian events. Namely the Brazilian GNOME Forum (the main GNOME event in Brazil) together with FISL, and ENSL (Northeast Free Software Conference), which will take place in Natal. They also requested the GNOME Foundation cover travel expenses for one foreign speaker (perhaps an additional $1,500).
- Final discussions to prepare Stormy's CEO Goals and Bonus plan.
- Finalizing arrangements for Dave Neary giving training sessions at GUADEC 2010.
- Ongoing discussion about funding the Accessibility Hackfest, Python Bindings Hackfest, and the Idlelo conference.
- Planning to have a GSettings Hackfest.
- Planning for the advisory board meeting held on Tuesday, March 9th.
- Planning for doing a press release and call for bids for the co-located Desktop Summit in 2011.
- Brian Nitz from Sun Microsystems requested access to the Coverity results for GNOME.
Fabio Berbert de Paula requested permission to use the GNOME logo for "Viva o Linux" (http://www.vivaolinux.com.br), the largest Linux user group in Latin America. He was told to fill out the "Trademark Agreement for User Groups" and that this would be approved.
Discussion about approving the GNOME Foundation "Volunteer & Employee Handbook".
- Discussion to reschedule the Foundation board meeting time to better facilitate the new board members.
- Behdad recommends subscribing to the Blue Avocado Newsletter.
- Rosanna packed and shipped box of t-shirts/mousepads/stickers to the CSUN a11y conference for students who had contributed to GNOME a11y.
- Got a brief update on GUADEC 2008 finances. Some issues still pending.