Minutes for Meeting of December 10th, 2009

Next Meeting

January 7th, 2009


  • Brian Cameron
  • Germán Póo-Caamaño
  • Srinivasa Ragavan
  • Stormy Peters
  • Vincent Untz


  • Behdad Esfahbod
  • Lucas Rocha


  • Diego Escalante
  • Rosanna Yuen


Recurring Items

  • Review past action items.
  • Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
  • Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
  • Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
  • System administrator hiring - waiting for funding.
  • Update foundation.gnome.org website.

New items

  • Announcement of advisory board doubling of fees was announced on the advisory board and foundation mailing lists.
  • The board agreed that Thursday at 5pm UTC will be the board meeting time going forward.
  • GUADEC 2010 has been announced.
    • Find a mentor for the GUADEC organizers. Dave Neary was mentioned as a good person to consider, if he is agreeable.
    • Should make an effort to capture planning information for future event planning.
    • Keep the organizers in the loop as we are working to define new event planning and trademark usage policies.
  • Responded to the person who sent the board of directors analysis about the evolution module.
  • Need to update the Foundation website to indicate the new fee.
  • Usability hackfest is converging for February, should make an announcement soon. Need to follow-up with sponsors who have previously expressed an interest in providing sponsorship for a Usability related event.
  • What is the status of the annual report? Vincent will follow-up.

Action Items

Completed Actions

  • Brian - Reply to people asking for GNOME brand usage for merchandise.
  • Lucas - Will work to put together some web information about next GUADEC.
  • Stormy - Send out announcements regarding doubling of adboard fees.
  • Rosanna - to send check to pay 401K setup fees.
  • Vincent - Publish the new Advisory Board duties on the web and to send an email to the foundation-list to announce it.
  • Vincent - Follow up with video hackfest organizers and find out if there is any sponsorship money due. Done. All costs were covered by sponsors.
  • Vincent - Will look into who the GNOME Foundation should send to the Mobile User Experience conference. This was closed some time ago. The GNOME Foundation did not partner the event in the end and nobody from GNOME attended.
  • Vincent - Update the Foundation website for new adboard fees.
  • Everyone - Provide available meeting times in Doodle after Stormy provides the survey. Be flexible!

Old Actions

  • Behdad - Tasked with scrubbing the GnuCash file so it can be made public. Behdad sent a scrubbed GnuCash file to Rosanna to check, but still pending.

  • Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Draft under review.
  • Brian - Look into organizing a hackfest on "how to make it easier for more people to do some usability magic". Plan to make an announcement next week.
  • Diego - Will work to organize an IRC Foundation meeting.
  • Diego - Taken over from Stormy. Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not much replies from the community. Diego will draft something more concrete and ask for comments on it.
  • Diego - Start discussion about how to improve how money is allocated for hackfests. Diego will send another iteration of it this next week.
  • Germán - Put together a proposal for how to address board members who become inactive. Still pending.
  • Lucas - Work with Andreas for the donation ruler. Try to put $15k in the ruler in "yellow" ($10k for Canonical, $5k for Google) to indicate that these funds are matching. Waiting for Paul to get the general marketing message behind the ruler before publishing it. Paul was pinged on September 17th about it. http://www.gnome.org/friends/drive/. This was discussed at the Marketing Hackfest in October. Vinicius is working on it.

  • Lucas - Work to ensure that Foundation members sign the GNOME Code of Conduct, and make it a requirement that new Foundation members need to sign this. Lucas completed a draft currently under review. Started discussion on foundation list. Got a lot comments and feedback. Will summarize the discussion points in the next week.
  • Lucas & Alberto - Set up a Euro bank account. Still in progress. Lucas is checking if GNOME Hispano could help us with that.

  • Paul - Will provide an overview of hiring a sysadmin and the benefits that has for the overall GNOME community.
  • Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
  • Srini - Ping John Palmieri for status about importing Paypal data into GnuCash. John Palmieri was pinged, but no response yet.

  • Srini - Send out the GUADEC call-for-hosts, and the next meeting with be an IRC meeting to discuss Done. Srini has the meeting logs, but not yet published in the wiki. Yet to format and upload and announce the meeting logs. Leaving this as an open item until the logs are available.
  • Stormy - To propose a case study on how the improvements we made with bugzilla made a difference as input for the marketing materials for why the Foundation needs to hire a system administrator. Working with Max and waiting on him.
  • Stormy - Create a more public process for suggesting and deciding upon topics for future advisory board meetings. Conversations in progress.
  • Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can we work together).
  • Vincent - Touch base with Matthew Garrett and with the GNOME community to determine how the GNOME Code of Conduct needs to be enhanced to reflect speakers. Ongoing. First draft available, need to push this.
  • Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct. Waiting for end of thread on foundation-list.
  • Vincent - Follow-up with Intel to determine what to do about copyright assignment for clutter. Waiting for an official update from Intel.
  • Vincent & Lucas - Determine how to announce the endorsement of Franklin Street Statement on Freedom and Network Services. This is blocking on a release team action that Lucas has ("push for a "web services" set of libraries") http://autonomo.us/2008/07/franklin-street-statement/

  • Vincent - Will start discussion with adboard about co-locating in 2011 after the announcement. This is a topic for the next adboard meeting (January), so discussion will be started a week before the meeting.

New Action Items

  • Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases.
  • Stormy - Will follow-up with Nokia.
  • Vincent - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark.
  • Vincent - Follow up with Michael Meeks and Bradley Kuhn to see if there is an interest in defining a policy the release team can follow to know whether a project with a copyright assignment requirement can be accepted or not. What sorts of copyright assignments are acceptable? A mail has already been sent to Bradley and Michael.
  • Vincent - Follow up with the status of the annual report. A mail has already been sent to Paul.

Discussed on board-list

  • Discussion leading to the announcement for advisory board fees doubling.
  • Planning and discussion for the advisory board meeting on December 8th.
  • Some initial planning from Eitan Isaacson about an upcoming Accessibility Hackfest at CSUN, San Diego, March 22-27.

  • Planning for the upcoming Usability Hackfest in London, February 22-26.

  • Diego wrote a draft proposal for improving the hackfest proposal workflow. Under discussion and review.
  • Discussion about Stormy's goals for the next year. The board plans to make defining goals a more transparent process moving forward, so we are preparing a proposal for the GNOME Foundation to review.
  • The GNOME Foundation received two requests from people to sell GNOME branded merchandise. Need to review and respond. It might be necessary to define process to manage additional organizations selling GNOME branded merchandise.
  • Should a "GNOME Trademark Guidelines FAQ" be put together to explain how the GNOME trademark can and cannot be used. Is it possible to update the Trademark Guidelines to make it easier for some common uses to be approved (such as using the logo for a tshirt at a GNOME event). This would provide an easy link response to answer common questions.

  • Discussion about creating a new Event Planning and Trademark Usage process.
  • Received an assessment of Evolution from William L J Xu-Doeve.
  • Stormy met with LiMo, and made good progress on finding ways to work more closely together in the future.

  • Vincent confirmed that no money is needed for the recent Video hackfest.
  • Discussion about finalizing the transfer of the GStreamer Google Summer of Code money.
  • Peter Mathijssen provided proposed logos for GUADEC 2010 which the board commented on.
  • The GNOME Foundation private Wiki has been reorganized and made more useful, so there has been discussion about this.

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20091210 (last edited 2010-01-31 00:41:54 by LucasRocha)