Minutes for Meeting of October 15th, 2009

Next Meeting

October 29, 2009


  • Diego Escalante
  • Germán Póo-Caamaño
  • Lucas Rocha
  • Srinivasa Ragavan
  • Stormy Peters


  • Vincent Untz


  • Behdad Esfahbod
  • Brian Cameron
  • Rosanna Yuen


Recurring Items

  • Review past action items.
  • Did each person with action items send their status reports to the board list before the meeting?
  • Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
  • Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
  • System administrator hiring - waiting for funding.
  • Update foundation.gnome.org website.

Old items

  • None

New items

  • GUADEC: Germán will get in contact with potential GUADEC 2010 organizers to clarify their bid and invite them to speak to the board.
  • Marketing team & hackfest:

    • The GNOME Marketing team hackfest is planned for November 10-11 in Chicago.
    • Lucas suggested that marketing should touch base with each GNOME project and collect information in one place.
    • Started a conversation about where is GNOME right now, how are we doing.
    • Also talked about what would be the vision for the Linux Desktop?
      • GNOME is not a product. Not in the same sense than distributions.
    • How are we contributing to distributions in order to reach a wider audience?
    • To what degree should we encourage distributions to make the GNOME brand visible?
    • Is it more important to make end users aware of GNOME or more important to work with partners?
  • Code of Conduct & Blogs at GNOME

    • Currently we have a Code of Conduct, but not everybody who has a blog at gnome.org and/or syndicated on our planet have signed.
    • It is expected that everyone with a blog on gnome.org and/or our planet follow the Code of Conduct. If they did, it would help avoid personal attacks.
    • It was proposed that we require that people with a blog on gnome.org and/or our planet sign the Code of Conduct.
    • It was also suggested that perhaps it should be expect that people with a blog on gnome.org and/or our planet become GNOME Foundation members.
  • Bugzilla data
    • Germán asked for feedback on finding a mechanism for providing our bugzilla data to be studied by researchers.

Action Items

Completed Actions

  • Lucas - Put together budget for Boston Summit.
  • Stormy - GNOME Foundation needs a CRM. Now on the system administration team TODO list.
  • Stormy - Contact advisory board members about raising fees. Waiting on a waterfall financial model (done) and a 2010 budget before sending this out. Done.
  • Stormy - Send the Texas Instruments Zoom 2 netbooks to the Boston Summit (perhaps to John Palmieri or Rosanna). Done.
  • Stormy & Zana - Have discussion on marketing list to determine how to best replace the U.S. event box. Done. (No feedback. Moving forward with what we used to have.)

Old Actions

  • Behdad - Tasked with scrubbing the GnuCash file so it can be made public. Behdad sent a scrubbed GnuCash file to Rosanna to check, but still pending.

  • Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Still pending.
  • Brian - Since there was little interest on the foundation-list about getting international general liability and accident insurance, the board decided to not pursue getting such coverage at this time. Brian agreed to follow-up with the lawyers to find out what sort of text we should include in the travel subsidy agreement to ensure that people who receive subsidy understand that the Foundation is not providing coverage. An email was sent to the GNOME legal team on August 10th, and they have been pinged on September 6th, 17th, and October 15th.
  • Brian - Look into organizing a hackfest on "how to make it easier for more people to do some usability magic". Discussions on usability list just starting, and making progress with seeking nlnet grant. Ongoing.
  • Brian - Send email to the board list to schedule a special meeting for Stormy's review. Previously we were doing reviews quarterly, but moving forward these reviews will be done bi-annually. Ongoing.
  • Diego - Contact the sysadmin team about account creation. Talk with Bruno about who needs accounts. Diego has done a lot work contacting people about this, and is close to completing this task, but is still pending.
  • Diego - Keep track of FISOL invitation (Chiapas, Mexico), take over from Germán. In response, they have the space covered (I understand that with a recommendation from Federico). They are eager to work together next year to have more GNOME people. Diego will add this to his calendar and keep in touch with our contact (Freddy Arguello).
  • Germán - Put together a proposal for how to address board members who become inactive. Still pending.
  • Germán - Take over John Palmieri's previous task to propose new obligations that people who receive travel subsidies should be asked to do in return.
  • Lucas - Work with Andreas for the donation ruler. Try to put $15k in the ruler in "yellow" ($10k for Canonical, $5k for Google) to indicate that these funds are matching. Waiting for Paul to get the general marketing message behind the ruler before publishing it. Paul was pinged on September 17th about it. http://www.gnome.org/friends/drive/

  • Lucas & Alberto - Set up a Euro bank account. Still in progress.

  • Paul - Will provide an overview of hiring a sysadmin and the benefits that has for the overall GNOME community.
  • Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
  • Rosanna - to send check to pay 401K setup fees.
  • Srini - Ping John Palmieri for status about importing Paypal data into GnuCash. John Palmieri was pinged, but no response yet.

  • Srini - Send out the GUADEC call-for-hosts, and the next meeting with be an IRC meeting to discuss Done. Srini has the meeting logs, but not yet published in the wiki. Yet to format and upload and announce the meeting logs.
  • Stormy - Should the GNOME Foundation buy a blanket LWN membership. Very low priority. Will bring it up with Jonathan Corbet when they next meet.
  • Stormy - To propose a case study on how the improvements we made with bugzilla made a difference as input for the marketing materials for why the Foundation needs to hire a system administrator.
  • Stormy - Create a more public process for suggesting and deciding upon topics for future advisory board meetings. Conversations in progress.
  • Vincent - Will contact advisory board members to see if they will sponsor upcoming events. Some advisory board members have been contacted, but work still ongoing.
  • Vincent - Will look into who the GNOME Foundation should send to the Mobile User Experience conference, perhaps Paul Cooper. Vincent mailed Paul and is waiting for an answer.
  • Vincent & Lucas - Determine how to announce the endorsement of Franklin Street Statement on Freedom and Network Services: http://autonomo.us/2008/07/franklin-street-statement/

New Action Items

  • Germán - will get in contact with GUADEC organizers to clarify their bid.

Discussed on board-list

  • The Annual Reports for 2008 have arrived, so there was discussion about mailing them out.
  • Agreed to sponsor GNOME Brasil Latinoware event for $2,682.
  • Benjamin Otte proposed a GNOME video hackfest in November. Topics will include bridging X, Cairo and GStreamer and make them work together better. Seeking funding for 3750 Euros.
  • Helping to organize a WebKitGTK+ hackfest in November. They are seeking 5600 Euros.
  • The board has started to receive bids for the 2010 GUADEC, and is reviewing them.
  • Discussion about whether to co-locate with KDE in 2011. Agreed to first discuss with the advisory board, and with the larger GNOME community.
  • Libresoft, an organization who studies FLOSS projects, is interested in GNOME raw bugzilla data for doing studies. The board has been discussing making this available to them.
  • Discussion about better enumerating the duties associated with being an advisory board member.
  • Discussion about making sure that people who participate on http://planet.gnome.org have signed the GNOME Code of Conduct.

  • Planning for the Boston Summit.
  • Planning for the Advisory Board meeting on Tuesday, October 13th.
  • Discussion about asking RMS for a response to those offended at his keynote at GCDS.
  • Planning to have a meeting to discuss Stormy's bi-annual review and bonus.

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20091015 (last edited 2010-01-31 00:44:53 by LucasRocha)