Minutes for Meeting of September 17, 2009

Next Meeting

October 1, 2009


  • Behdad Esfahbod
  • Brian Cameron
  • Diego Escalante Urrelo
  • Germán Póo-Caamaño
  • Lucas Rocha
  • Rosanna Yuen
  • Srinivasa Ragavan
  • Stormy Peters


  • Vincent Untz (at openSUSE conference)


  • None.


Recurring Items

  • Review past action items.
  • Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were sent.
  • Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
  • Sysadmin hiring - waiting for funding.
  • Update foundation.gnome.org website.

Old items

  • None

New items

  • Sri sent out the GUADEC call-for-hosts, and the next meeting with be an IRC meeting to discuss.
  • Stormy and Zana have an action item to get discussion moving to replace the U.S. event box and then purchase what is needed.
  • Can we confirm the money that is needed for the Boston Summit? Lucas will organize a budget for the Boston Summit.
  • Discussion about the following news about OIN (OpenInventionNetwork). Refer here:

  • Scheduled that we will discuss Stormy's bonus during the October 15th board meeting.

Action Items

Completed Actions

  • Diego - Organize an IRC meeting with the membership this month. Sent the email, almost no reactions.
  • Lucas - To work on next year's budget and annual report since he is now vice-treasurer. Stormy and Germán did all the work while Lucas was on vacation. Thanks!
  • Srini - Talk to Seattle local community about the possibilities of hosting an event and possibly having an event instead in nearby Canada (perhaps Vancouver) where there are less visa concerns. Done. Srini spoke to cj on having a event, other than GUADEC possibly from Vancouver, Canada. He said he will look at the options and discuss on the visa issues with Federal.
  • Srini - Post a follow-up mail on the GUADEC call for hosts for a chat/meeting with previous organizers (Dave Neary, Paul Cooper, ...). Done. Paul, Dave, Quim, Baris, Agustin were invited. Meeting will be held on September 22, 17:00 UTC.
  • Srini - To communicate travel budget for Zeitgeist and Boston Summit to the Travel Committee.
  • Stormy - Invite Boston Summit organizers to the next advisory board meeting.
  • Vincent - To send an email to advisory board list enumerating upcoming events and seeking sponsorships.
  • Vincent - Invite the Zeitgeist hackfest organizers to next advisory board meeting.
  • Vincent - Put the event box topic on the agenda for next meeting (unless it is completely handled at that time ;-))

Old Actions

  • Behdad - Tasked with scrubbing the GnuCash file so it can be made public. Behdad sent a scrubbed GnuCash file to Rosanna to check, but still pending.

  • Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook". Still pending.
  • Brian - Since there was little interest on the foundation-list about getting international general liability and accident insurance, the board decided to not pursue getting such coverage at this time. Brian agreed to follow-up with the lawyers to find out what sort of text we should include in the travel subsidy agreement to ensure that people who receive subsidy understand that the Foundation is not providing coverage. An email was sent to the GNOME legal team on August 10th, and they have been pinged on September 6th and 17th.
  • Brian - Look into organizing a hackfest on "how to make it easier for more people to do some usability magic". Talking with Calum Benson, Mairin Duffy, Ivanka Majic, Charline Poirier. I have also pinged Matthew Paul Thomas Lattimer, and Garett LeSage, but have not heard back from them. A proposal is solidifying.

  • Diego - Contact the sysadmin team about account creation. Talk with Bruno about who needs accounts. Diego has done a lot work contacting people about this, and is close to completing this task, but is still pending.
  • Diego - Keep track of FISOL invitation (Chiapas, Mexico), take over from Germán. In response, they have the space covered (I understand that with a recommendation from Federico). They are eager to work together next year to have more GNOME people. Diego will add this to his calendar and keep in touch with our contact (Freddy Arguello).
  • Germán - Put together a proposal for how to address board members who become inactive. Still pending.
  • Germán - Take over John Palmieri's previous task to propose new obligations that people who receive travel subsidies should be asked to do in return.
  • Lucas - Work with Andreas for the donation ruler. Try to put $15k in the ruler in "yellow" ($10k for Canonical, $5k for Google) to indicate that these funds are matching. Waiting for Paul to get the general marketing message behind the ruler before publishing it. Paul was pinged on September 17th about it. http://www.gnome.org/friends/drive/

  • Lucas & Alberto - Set up a Euro bank account. Still in progress.

  • Paul - Will provide an overview of hiring a sysadmin and the benefits that has for the overall GNOME community.
  • Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar, but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website up-to-date.
  • Rosanna - to send check to pay 401K setup fees.
  • Srini - Ping John Palmieri for status about importing Paypal data into GnuCash. John Palmieri was pinged, but no response yet.

  • Stormy - GNOME Foundation needs a CRM. Dave Neary agreed to set up one, he just needs to be told which one. Stormy will research over the next week. UPDATE: The sys admin team is now looking into this but waiting on a requirements document from the marketing team.
  • Stormy - Should the GNOME Foundation buy a blanket LWN membership. Very low priority. Will bring it up with Jonathan Corbet when they next meet.
  • Stormy - Contact advisory board members about raising fees. Waiting on a waterfall financial model (done) and a 2010 budget before sending this out. Almost done - ready to go if everyone has given their feedback on the finances.
  • Stormy - To propose a case study on how the improvements we made with bugzilla made a difference as input for the marketing materials for why the Foundation needs to hire a system administrator.
  • Stormy - Send the Texas Instruments Zoom 2 netbooks to the Boston Summit (perhaps to John Palmieri or Rosanna). John Palmieri will not be at the Boston Summit. Who is the best person to send to?
  • Stormy - Create a more public process for suggesting and deciding upon topics for future advisory board meetings.
  • Vincent - Will contact advisory board members to see if they will sponsor upcoming events. Some advisory board members have been contacted, but work sitll ongoing.
  • Vincent - Will look into who the GNOME Foundation should send to the Mobile User Experience conference, perhaps Paul Cooper. Vincent mailed Paul and is waiting for an answer.
  • Vincent & Lucas - Determine how to announce the endorsement of Franklin Street Statement on Freedom and Network Services: http://autonomo.us/2008/07/franklin-street-statement/

New Action Items

  • Lucas - Put together budget for Boston Summit.
  • Stormy & Zana - Have discussion on marketing list to determine how to best replace the U.S. event box.

Discussed on board-list

  • Germán Póo-Caamaño and Stormy Peters put together a proposed budget for the next year, and it has gone through a few rounds of review.
  • Lucas Rocha announced that he will start the printing of 200 copies of the Annual Report.
  • Logistics for the next board meeting to be an IRC meeting.
  • Discussion about the Gnome Women Outreach Program going live:
  • Planning for the September 8th advisory board meeting which was about upcoming events (Boston Summit, GNOME.Asia, and the Zeitgeist Hackfest.
  • Planning for future advisory board meetings. It was suggested that the October meeting be about finances, November be an opportunity for presentations from advisory board members, and December to provide a wrap-up on the events that will be held in the fall of 2009. Another topic that was suggested was that Nokia talk about the N900 with respect to GNOME Mobile. Stormy agreed to create a more public process for suggesting and deciding upon topics for future meetings.
  • Planning a GUADEC follow-up meeting with Quim, Paul, Dave, Baris and Agustin (past organizers) for September 22nd.
  • John Palmieri provided the board with the following budget costs for the Boston Summit. Need to find budget (hopefully sponsors) for the following costs:
    • $1600 - all you can eat/drink/play pool (this includes tax and tips) for the beer summit
    • $1500 - coffee refilled 3 times a day w/ bagels in the morning (this includes the cost for delivery for the one evening LiTL had their snack hour)
  • Planning for the Zeitgeist hackfest in Bolzano 2009.
  • GNOME.Asia had a planning meeting on September 15, 2009. They are working to update the website, send out a call for participation and putting together a new sponsor brochure.
  • Discussion about whether Stormy should attend GNOME.Asia, Latinoware and GNOME Forum to help build those communities.
  • Alberto Ruiz asked the Foundation to provide him with signed certificates that he volunteered time to the GNOME community which helps him to fulfill a requirement for his university degree. After we received the documents, they were signed and sent to him in the same day.

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20090917 (last edited 2010-01-31 00:48:58 by LucasRocha)