Minutes for Meeting of July 15, 2009

Next Meeting

July 23, 2009


  • Behdad Esfahbod
  • Brian Cameron
  • Diego Escalante Urrelo
  • Lucas Rocha
  • Rosanna Yuen
  • Srinivasa Ragavan
  • Stormy Peters
  • Vincent Untz


  • Germán Póo-Caamaño


  • The present board members agreed unanimously that we should not do a co-located GUADEC next year, but there is an interest in doing it again in the future. With GNOME 3.0 approaching, next year's GUADEC will need a strong focus on this. The board agreed to send out an announcement to both the KDE and GNOME community to do a press release.
  • Discussion ongoing about the best way to respond about the fact that some people at the GCDS were offended by Richard Stallman's keynote. The board is seeking advice from appropriate persons and waiting response.

Recurring Items

  • Review past action items
  • Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were sent
  • Sysadmin hiring - waiting for funding
  • Update foundation.gnome.org website.
  • Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.

Action Items

Completed Actions

  • J5 - Announced the Boston Summit.
  • Vincent - Finished pinging hackerthreads about making merchandise available. This task is done and the merchandise is now available online.

Old Actions

  • Behdad - Tasked with scrubbing the GnuCash file so it can be made public. Still pending, and Behdad expects this task to be done by next meeting.

  • Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee Handbook".
  • Brian - Collect information about more concrete benefits to AdBoard from sponsoring travel.

  • Brian - GNOME.Asia
  • Diego - Write new employee guide on the Wiki.
  • Diego - Contact the sysadmin team about account creation. Talk with Bruno about who needs accounts. Still pending, and Diego expects this task to be done by next meeting.
  • Germán - Put together a proposal for how to address board members who become inactive.
  • J5 - Propose new obligations that people who receive travel subsidies should be asked to do in return.
  • Lucas - Work with Andreas for the donation ruler. Try to put $15k in the ruler in "yellow" ($10k for Canonical, $5k for Google) to indicate that these funds are matching. http://www.gnome.org/friends/drive/

  • Luis - Review of charter and bylaws and work towards a new draft.
  • Luis - Address GNOME logo trademark issues.
  • Luis - Should the Foundation endorse the Franklin Statement on Freedom and Network Services: http://autonomo.us/2008/07/franklin-street-statement/

  • Rosanna - Will ping J5 for status about importing Paypal data into GnuCash.

  • Rosanna - Update GNOME Guidestar website.
  • Stormy - Putting the 401k program for Foundation employees is still in process. Updated document is in legal review.
  • Stormy - GNOME Foundation needs a CRM.
  • Stormy - Setup Google Adwords.
  • Stormy - Should the GNOME Foundation buy a blanket LWN membership.
  • Vincent - Implement an automatic reminder email for meetings.
  • Vincent - Check to make sure that gnome -legal is still alive since Luis is not going to be able to focus so much energy on this.
  • Vincent - Find people to help organize the next GUADEC.
  • Whoever becomes treasurer - Craft next year's budget and annual report.
  • Whoever becomes treasurer & Alberto - Set up a Euro bank account.

New Actions

  • Everyone - Fill out online survey to determine best time for the bi-weekly board meeting.
  • Brian - Since there was little interest on the foundation-list about getting international general liability and accident insurance, the board decided to not pursue getting such coverage at this time. Brian agreed to follow-up with the lawyers to find out what sort of text we should include in the travel subsidy agreement to ensure that people who receive subsidy understand that the Foundation is not providing coverage.
  • Stormy - Compose the GCDS press release.
  • Vincent - Compose a letter to the KDE board explaining that we will not be co-locating next year, and that there is an interest in doing it again in the future.

Blocking On

  • N/A

Discussed on board-list

  • Put together and ran a survey to get information about people's reaction to the co-located summit. Discussion about whether to do a co-located event next year.
  • Discussion about the possibility of doing a usability hackfest at Largo.
  • Putting together and reviewing minutes, press releases, and other communications following up on the GCDS conference.
  • Stormy has an opportunity to speak with Vivek Kundra, U.S. President Obama's CTO.
  • Discussion about setting up Amazon referrals firefox extension for GNOME - in progress.

FoundationBoard/Minutes/20090715 (last edited 2010-01-31 00:49:37 by LucasRocha)