European GNOME Events Box
We have a big box that we can send to events which has most of the things we need, so we don't have to coordinate stuff from various sources, or risk not having essential items.
The box arrives at the venue or the address of a volunteer. At the end of the event, we pack everything back into the box and send it either to a central location or to the next event. This isn't intended to travel through airports.
GNOME Events Box: The box is 80.5 × 55.5 x 29.5 cm. It weighs approximately 27 kg including contents
We do not have locks on the box because the shipping companies keep removing them. The contents in each box is worth approximately 2100 Euros (if you need to know when arranging deliveries). Please look after them carefully.
There used to be two boxes:
The original one was lost for four months after mis-delivery in Portugal during 2010. This was actually the third/fourth container for the first set of contents (see 1, 2). However, presuming this was lost beyond return...;
A replacement box was assembled in time for FOSDEM 2011. Following that great effort, Murphy's law kicked in and the the original (v1) one was recovered by and returned by UPS again!
We now have only one box, the smaller one, because the larger box was only sent out once in the last 6 years.
Pictured is the Events Box (which you will pack neatly).
This has a "modern" machine that's not great for showing off GNOME 3 bling.
1× widescreen TFT (on loan from Kat)
- 1× mini PC (ASRock) with 32GB SSD and 4 GB RAM
1× cordless keyboard (UK layout) + 1× wireless mouse (you will remove the batteries between shows and recycle any used ones!)
- Assorted ethernet cables
- 1× power strip (European)
- 1× HDMI cable (+ 1× VGA cable in case you want to use a projector)
- Lockable cash box (w/ float up to €30)
- Stationery (marker pens, duct-tape, string, name tags …)
- One table cloth (green with "GNOME" in white across the front)
- Possibly stock for sale:
- Tote bags (sell for €10)
- T-shirts (sell for €15, except old GUADEC t-shirts which are "pay what you want")
- GSoC bag containing distro swag for free handouts (Debian, Fedora, SUSE, Gentoo and others that offer GNOME by default)
A roll of posters is available separately, because they are too big for the box:
- 1 large black and white plastic/acrylic GNOME Foot poster.
- 2 large HP GNOME posters.
There is also a roll-up-display available (200cm x 85cm) which is too big for either of the boxes. It is currently in the vicinity of the V2 box.
- More stickers (as of FOSDEM 2016)
- New banners
- New monitor (currently Kat has loaned one to the box)
- "Staff" t-shirts?
- SSD for machine
- Schuko clover leaf/mickey mouse cable (aka C5) for computer
Currently not in any box:
- 17" widescreen TFT
- Spare padding for boxes
See the Engagement page for links to posters, t-shirts, flyers and sticker designs.
The FOSDEM pages contain useful information about stocking the boxes, as well as ideas for how to run an effective GNOME stand.
Possible future contents
- Walkie-Talkies? Cost: ?
- Spare mice/keyboards/power-cables (wireless preferred). Cost: EUR 100
- GNOME T-shirts
- GNOME bags
- GNOME badges
- Administration stuff:
- 1 log book, saying where the box has been, and a message to the next recipient.
- 1 receipt book, for sales, donations, etc.
- GNOME UPS/FedEx/DHL account details, for on-site pickup and delivery of the box (not UPS/Fedex if the box is traveling to awkward countries.).
- Insurance details - Specifically, what to do if something is lost/stolen.
Between events, if it can't be sent directly to the next event, the boxes comes back to Kat AT SPAMFREE gnome DOT org.