Friends of GNOME
Friends of GNOME is a scheme that allows people to regularly donate money to the GNOME Foundation.
- Raise money for the GNOME Foundation, through regular subscriptions and one time donations.
- Increase awareness of GNOME's mission, and the role of the Foundation.
- Generate a sense of community among supporters. Increase their dedication and enthusiasm.
TobiasMueller - maintains infrastructure, responds to queries, keeps everything working
RosannaYuen - sends out perks (t-shirts, stickers, mouse pads, and so on), and keeps hackers supplied with GNOME postcards
Perks for Donors
- Adopt a hacker ($10 a month)
- Post card
- LWN subscription
- Associate ($25-500)
- Mouse pad
- Sponsor ($500-1200)
- Coffee mug
- Philanthropist ($1200+)
- Signed poster from the GNOME Foundation Board of Directors
All of these items are paid for by the GNOME Foundation. The Foundation has a deal in place to get LWN subscriptions at a reduced cost (there's an annual subscription fee for each donor who uses their LWN subscription).
Scheme Details and Organization
- Regular payments are only accepted via Paypal. These are sent to the GNOME Foundation.
- Single one time donations are also accepted, through cheque, wire transfer, Flattr and Bitcoin.
- Donors receive an automatically generated thank you email.
- These donations are framed under the umbrella of Friends of GNOME, but we don't offer perks like for regular donations.
firstname.lastname@example.org email alias:
The automated infrastructure is made up of scripts that are maintained by TobiasMuller.
- Email templates:
After adopt a hacker donors have paid a certain amount, they are sent an email asking if they want to take up their free LWN subscription. If they say yes (in a reply), TobiasMueller sends them an email with a token that they can use to claim.
- Each token works for a year. It must be renewed (FIXME: do donors get an email to tell them how to do this? Do they get notified when the token has lapsed?) by the donor.
- We have team of people who send out post cards to donors.
Post card senders are automatically sent an email with instructions of who to send a post card to.
Friends of GNOME Campaigns
The Engagement Team has run a number of Friends of GNOME fundraising campaigns in the past:
Sysadmin (started March 2010) - see Stormy's blog post
Accessibility (December 2011 - June 2012)
Privacy (December 2012 - July 2013)
Planning and Strategy
/RefreshInitiative - coordination page for refreshing Friends of GNOME
/HowWeCanImprove - ideas and research
/Future Campaigns - ideas for future fundraising campaigns
Frequently asked questions - for answering Friends of GNOME queries