System Suspend, Stop, and Restart
Stopping and restarting the device.
The menu part of this design is covered by system status.
- Present a short and simple set of choices
- Promote suspend/resume as a good way to stop the system
- Allow updates to be installed, when they're available
- Don't lose the user's work
Holding down the Alt key turns the power off button into a suspend button.
Clicking the power icon from the start menu shows a submenu with: "sleep", "shut down", restart".
Clicking the user's profile shows a menu with "change account settings", "lock", "sign out".
There's no confirmation dialog for shutdown, under normal circumstances.
Power button suspends by default. This can be changed from the settings.
Android / Mobile
- Hard button short press - sleep
- Hard button long press - offers shutdown or restart
- Automatically sleeps after a short period
See /History for previous iterations of the design, as well as comments about them.