Drop Down Lists
Designs for a combobox replacement widget.
- Select a value from a list of options.
- Comfortably/easily find a value from a long list of options, using scrolling and search.
- Allow a custom value to be selected to the list.
- When there are a lot of possible values, allow them to be broken down into groups.
Other possible goals:
- Multiple selections?
- Are values always text strings? What about images?
- The scrolling behaviour is quite difficult to use.
- There's no visual anchor when the list is open.
- There's no obvious way to close the list when it is open.
- There's no search.
- Visually, it would be better if the drop down was contained within a popover - particularly if you want to trigger the list from an icon button.
- There's plenty of room for improvement when entering a custom entry - better to show preset/prexisting options before allowing the custom entry to be set. This avoids possible discoverability issues.