From power on to either GDM or the user session should be fluid and seamless.
- Indicate the power is on
- Show something is happening
- Efficiently get the system operational
- Don't be a separate place
- Don't beat the user over the head with branding
- Operate in both graphics and text mode
- Graphics mode must work at 800x600
- Text mode must work at 80x24 characters
- Text mode restricted to ASCII character set
- Background cannot be pure black (#000) due to the way monitors align video images. However, #080808 for example is OK.
Base color: #2e3436
Boot menu is meant for selecting an OS, should look fairly generic. Not shown by default, opt in.
Background texture: http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/plain/data/theme/noise-texture.png
- Character: ASCII 254, Unicode 25A0
- Highlight color: #fff
- Secondary color: #979a9b or (#ffffff80)
- Appearance: Three characters with one non-breaking space between
- Behavior: Should start with no characters highlighted. Then progress from 1 to 3. Fade out at finish.