This is a planning and design page for the next version of the GNOME HIG.
Previously, the HIG was written in docbook and hosted on library.gnome.org. We want to do something a bit different for the next version.
The HIG should be accessible from developer.gnome.org.
The next version of the HIG is intended to be a somewhat dynamic resource. It would be nice to feature pattern updates and status changes in the design of our hosting.
- Featuring new and updated patterns on the homepage
- Subscribing for updates, either on a site-wide basis or by individual pages
Other ideas that have been suggested:
- Making printable PDFs at release time
- A visual index with screenshots of the patterns and controls
Goals and Scope
- GNOME branding and use of GNOME website theme
- Enable visitors to get an overview of the HIG and its structure
- Give an idea of what order to read things in if someone wants to start at the beginning
- Allow people to seek out design guidance relating to particular topics (ie. search, browsing the full content, perhaps with screenshots of design patterns)
- it would be nice if it was kept translatable, like the 2.x HIG, and like the new www.gnome.org website should be.