A simple, clean, beautiful view of the web.
- Focus on the current page content
- Provide inter page navigation
- Saving page as PDF
- Sharing links easily
- Integrate web search functionality
- Support in page search
- Support page multi-tasking without reloading content, interrupting active sessions, or losing form data
- Displaying page view history
- Clearing page view history
- Saving form submission data
- Saving web usernames and passwords
- Provide a reminding function for things to do/read later
- Identify pages as important so they may appear more prominently in search results
- Make it very easy to reopen a closed page
- Provide a way to turn a page into an application
- Use the OS notification system for page notifications
- Reader view
- Not designed to be a web developer tool
Opera for Windows
Internet Explorer 10
Interesting Browser History Stuff
Mozilla Labs Winter 2009 (the 'Utility' Winner has some nice ideas)
- "Parallel Browsing Behavior on the Web", Jeff Huang et al., 2010
- "Web Page Revisitation Revisited: Implications of a Long-term Click-stream Study of Browser Usage", Obendorf et al., CHI 2007 Proceedings
- "A Study of Tabbed Browsing Among Mozilla Firefox Users", Dubroy et al., CHI 2010
- "Large Scale Analysis of Web Revisitation Patterns", Adar et al., CHI 2008
- "The Perfect Search Engine Is Not Enough: A Study of Orienteering Behavior in Directed Search", Teevan et al., CHI 2004
- "Not quite the average: An empirical study of Web use", Weinreich et al., ACM Transactions on the Web, 2(1): 1-31, 2008
- "Web Page Revisitation Revisited: Implecations of Long-term Click-stream Study of Browser Usage", Obendorf et al., CHI Proceedings, 2007
Notes from Weinreich et al and Obendorf et al:
- A lot of browsing can be described as "hub and spoke": lots of pages opened in new tabs and windows from a small number of pages.
- The majority of users do not tend to use bookmarks.
- Most page revisitation is short term: the 15 most recently viewed pages has been found to account for 88% of page revisits.
- Short-term revisitation strategies center on the sequence in which pages were visited.
- Long-term revisitation is poorly supported. Browser histories go virtually unused.
Discussion & Design Experiments
Tabs and tabless design experiment - some old musings on tabs