Software Developer Experience
Options for improving the experience for people using Software to install development tools and resources.
- Optionally make the developer section more prominent
- Make it easier to find particular developer tools
- Allow downstreams to highlight their own developer content
- Make browsing for developer tools more engaging
- Highlight the best developer tools that are available
Discussion & Ideas
Ideas for the developer section:
- Showing banners for some apps, with dedicated artwork (like on the "home" page).
- Creating meaningful sub-categories for developer applications (the current ones are terrible).
- Creating a special Red Hat developer section, for our own tools.
- Showing "new", "editors picks" or "popular" sections, within the developer category.
- Linking to blog posts or online developer resources.
- Could we offer developer documentation here, as a download? (How this would operate in practice would require some thought.)
- Allow search by (programming) language ? "Java tools"
- Allow installing language-specific environments ? "Haskell support" This would typically include commandline tools, compilers, etc
Should flatpak SDKs and baseapps be listed here, or is this better off inside GNOME builder ?