Burning down twice is better than moving they say. We need an app to move documents, settings and possibly apps over to new hardware.
- Transfer configuration, applications, documents
- Very tied to backup. Migration is essentially recovery from the last backup onto a new machine.
- Hooks into initial setup. New OS install usually means wanting to restore from another machine/backup.
It's 2020, leverage cloud services.
- Restore from backup (cloud, NAS, removable drive)
- Direct connection between two machines (wifi, eth)
Non use cases
- Esoteric methods like macos target disk mode (firewire/usb/thundebolt).
Backup/Restore is a showstopper for this tool.
Macos Migration Assistant -- https://blog.macsales.com/40437-migration-assistant-the-easy-way-to-move-your-data-to-a-new-mac/