Simple image viewer.
- Look at an image to get some information from it
- Example: look up where someone is location on an organization chart
- View an image to confirm its the one you want
- Example: a holiday photo before sharing it on social media
- Compare different versions of the same photo, to find a particular one
- Example: if the same photo was taken with two different aperture settings
- Prepare a photo to use in a presentation
- Example: crop and enhance a photo before inserting it
- Mark information on a screenshot before sharing it
- Example: highlight an issue in a support case
- Example: mark steps or actions for documentation
Be fast - allow quick preview functionality
- Function as an extension of the Files app
- Be clean and simple - don't get in the way of the main objective (image viewing)
- Intuitive zoom
- Simple editing
- Processing - exposure, contrast, color, etc
- View properties - cover both simple cases and more advanced digital photography scenarios
- Allow images to be shared (imgurl, google photos, ...)
Windows 10 Image Viewer, with edit menu:
Edit Mode - Adjust:
Edit Mode - Enhance:
Handles images, audio and video. Allows browsing a directory. Editing is photo-centric and includes filters.
Android 8 (LineageOS)
It would be interesting to consider what the workflow for editing screenshots might look like.
Are editing tools for generic images different from those for photos?
Division of labour with Files?
- We could have some file operations in the image viewer -
- send to trash
- copy to
- move to
- an image gallery
- Or we could leave some or all of that to the Files app
- 90% of the design and the app's vision is speed. Every decision should have speed implications in mind.