End-user oriented application for viewing and modifying storage on local and removable devices.
- Cater to basic and intermediate use cases
- Make basic operations obvious and simple
- Basic functionality:
- View details about internal and removable storage devices, including partitions
- Format an entire disk (typically removable)
- Diagnose problems, scan for errors
- Write a disk image to a removable drive (typically to use as a live OS)
- Intermediate functionality:
- Create and edit partition layouts, resize partitions
- Format partitions
- Configure what gets mounted at startup (fstab/crypttab)
- Support encryption to keep data private (e.g. LUKS or others)
- Advanced / enterprise storage management (LVM, RAID)
- Every use-case under the sun. It's perfectly fine to tell advanced users to use the command-line.
- Create disk image files
- Access disk image files (including ISO files)
Jon's original mockup.