A nice simple dictionary app. This may work in concert with a system-wide inline dictionary service.
- Look up word definitions
- View/hear pronunciation
- Stand-alone application
- A windowed application, with good typographic results; search capabilities; "bookmarks"/favourite words; last searches.
- Dictionary as a service
- A structured API for displaying bubbles with short definitions at a given location for a given word.
- Shell integration
- A content provider for the shell search capabilities.
Dictionary (GNOME 3.14)
Fantasdic (GTK 2.x application)
StarDict (GTK 2.x application)
OS X Dictionary
Merriam-Webster Dictionary HD
Oxford Dictionary Android app
Urban Dictionary unofficial app
- talking about words and dictionaries, there is more than definition and pronunciation. I propose to extend the objectives by considering:
- look up for word translation (into language X)
- look up for paragraph/text selection translation
look up for synonyms (see http://aiksaurus.sourceforge.net)
- manage check spell dictionaries
- extend information sources to well established online resources like wikipedia, google image, etc.
- As usage scenario, I often use wikipedia to find the translation of word (). I also use google image to understand what a word means
It would be interesting to use wiktionaries content, and even to encourage contribution when somthing is wrong/missing. Unlike with other disparate sources, it would provide definitions for "many to many" languages. -- psychoslave