Redesigning xchat-gnome UI . Inputs welcome
No more option to hide the UI. does not make sense with gnome-shell or unity. xchat-gnome inidicator could probably hide the window ( check with ubuntu dev )
- GMT+0530 I need to split my working hours, to work with Australia /Europe and a bit of NA
<TheLemonMan> great heh, i'm GMT+1, the chances to get in touch are few <ritz> sweet <TheLemonMan> do you have some spare time for working on xchat-gnome ? <ritz> a bit, mostly weekends <TheLemonMan> starting from scratch the next version of xchat-gnome is tempting <TheLemonMan> we could get rid of all the crazy/old code in there <ritz> doubtful
- it is always tempting to rewrite from scratch but regressions, and tested use case die out
<TheLemonMan> but we'll end up rewriting big chunks of it <ritz> the UI
- not the backend, based of xchat
<TheLemonMan> oh, with everything i meant the UI <ritz> cool
- everything ? I do seem , xtext needs to be rewritten I need to import autocompletion in
<TheLemonMan> or replaced with webkit
- the ui can be redesigned to be more appealing and logic we could get rid of all the menus by using a single button with a popup menu
<ritz> this looks sweet
- which app is this from ?
- webkit gtk , hmmm x-g started off the tree concept
- think of those eeepc tiny screens
- dynamic layouts ? this mockup is suitable for small screen mode ? or when, user clicks on hide side pane we switch to this view
<TheLemonMan> we could make the tree toggleable <ritz> fair enough
- I have not worked with webkit thinggy
<TheLemonMan> me neither, but we could give a look at how empathy/pidgin do that <ritz> I assume, we are talking about replacing the xtext backend with webkit --- Disconnected (Connection reset by peer).
- Disconnected ().
--> You are now talking on #xchat-gnome <TheLemonMan> flaky connection ? <ritz> my niece
- hmmm, looks interesting
<TheLemonMan> we could slap the topic inside the conversation panel too and get rid of that X button * Loaded log from Wed Jun 6 20:10:43 2012
--> You are now talking on #xchat-gnome <ritz> never noticed the x there
- how does one close the channel ? when not in "small mode" ?
<TheLemonMan> hrm, with that menu->button design in mind
- we could have 2 buttons one for general preferences and one for channel preferences so you could leave, save the backlog, set the preferences from that menu
<ritz> hmm, move the buttons within the tree view
- are these images copyrighted ?
<TheLemonMan> designers will kill us if we do so :P <ritz> Would like to post these mockup to http://live.gnome.org/Xchat-Gnome <TheLemonMan> the second one i'm pretty sure is <ritz> where does the first one come form ?
- nm, found
- want me to ask the designer ?
<ritz> this would be nice
- if we can copy the design and post this this as one of the irc UI used by other irc clients
something akin to https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Videos relevant art section
<TheLemonMan> imho it shouldn't be a problem
- oh, the dcc window needs to die and dcc needs to be fixed
<ritz> never used dcc ever , yet
- and what do we replace it with ?
<TheLemonMan> menu items with a progressbar ? <ritz> hmmm, I am not a designer
- but this should pretty interesting
<TheLemonMan> the rule of thumb is that dialogs are outdated <ritz> I assume, a menu option which says "file transfer"
- grayed out, until unless we do have a file transfer I tend to use ff , opera and chrome all of them tend to have a dialog, where to save file ( we can skip this) and a window, where we can see the progress opera and chrome tend to use a new tab with opera, this can be a part of the side pane
<TheLemonMan> great idea! a new tab in the treeview
- by using webkit we don't have to care about tabs layout atm
<ritz> hmmm, fair enough <TheLemonMan> we would just need an html templating engine <ritz> essentially, we are replace xtext with webkit-gtk
- the side pane would need to be re-written to act as tab with small mode and a tree/tab for downloads
- it's like hmm, the sound my brain makes when thinking heh
<ritz> I am try to visualize the changes
and the steps required inital , boot xtext and in with wk_text
<TheLemonMan> yep, shouldn't be that hard
- we need to remove all the boilerplate that conversation_panel adds
<ritz> this looks pretty nice <TheLemonMan> now we just need the time and the willingness of doing this