gedit is the GNOME text editor.
While aiming at simplicity and ease of use, gedit is a powerful general purpose text editor.
- Full support for internationalized text (UTF-8)
- Configurable syntax highlighting for various languages (C, C++, Java, HTML, XML, Python, Perl and many others)
- Editing files from remote locations
- File reverting
- Print and print preview support
- Clipboard support (cut/copy/paste)
- Search and replace with support of regular expressions
- Go to specific line
- Auto indentation
- Text wrapping
- Line numbers
- Right margin
- Current line highlighting
- Bracket matching
- Backup files
- Configurable fonts and colors
- A complete online user manual
- A flexible plugin system which can be used to dynamically add new advanced features
Online Help (for gedit and default gedit plugins)
WARNING: The latest official Windows binary is 3.20.1, and the latest official Mac binary is 3.2.1 from 2011, however, the latest source releases should work. If you can help with building binaries of newer releases for either platform, please mention it over IRC.
If you're using macOS, then an unofficial Homebrew formula for the latest version of gedit is available: brew install gedit
Getting in Touch
git clone git://git.gnome.org/gedit
gedit will aim for a 3.26 release.