gedit is the GNOME text editor.
While aiming at simplicity and ease of use, gedit is a powerful general purpose text editor.
gedit is no longer maintained, the project is looking for new maintainers, see Apps/Unmaintained.
- Full support for internationalized text (UTF-8)
- Configurable syntax highlighting for various languages (C, C++, Java, HTML, XML, Python, Perl and many others)
- Editing files from remote locations
- File reverting
- Print and print preview support
- Clipboard support (cut/copy/paste)
- Search and replace with support of regular expressions
- Go to specific line
- Auto indentation
- Text wrapping
- Line numbers
- Right margin
- Current line highlighting
- Bracket matching
- Backup files
- Configurable fonts and colors
- A complete online user manual
- A flexible plugin system which can be used to dynamically add new advanced features
Online Help (for gedit and default gedit plugins)
Getting in Touch
- Git: git clone git://git.gnome.org/gedit