gedit is the text editor of the GNOME desktop environment.
The first goal of gedit is to be easy to use, with a simple interface by default. More advanced features are available by enabling plugins.
- Files are opened in tabs
- Full support for internationalized text (UTF-8)
- Configurable fonts and colors
- Print and print preview support
- Search and replace with support of regular expressions
- A side panel with an integrated file browser
- Word auto-completion
- Auto indentation
- Text wrapping
- Line numbers
- Right margin
- Highlight current line
- Highlight matching brackets
- Editing files from remote locations
- Backup files
- A flexible plugin system which can be used to dynamically add new advanced features
gedit is available on the Microsoft Store: gedit for Windows.
macOS packages (a bit outdated)
A Homebrew formula for the latest version of gedit is available: brew install gedit
gedit is installed by default with many Linux distributions, otherwise you can install the gedit and gedit-plugins packages.
Getting in Touch
IRC channel: the #gedit channel on irc.gnome.org