gedit is an easy-to-use and general-purpose text editor. Its development started in 1998, at the beginnings of the GNOME project, with a good integration with that desktop environment.
You can use it to write simple notes and documents, or you can enable more advanced features that are useful for software development.
- Files are opened in tabs
- Full support for internationalized text (UTF-8)
- Configurable fonts and colors
- Print and print preview support
- Search and replace with support of regular expressions
- A side panel with an integrated file browser
- Word auto-completion
- Auto indentation
- Text wrapping
- Line numbers
- Right margin
- Highlight current line
- Highlight matching brackets
- Editing files from remote locations
- Backup files
- A flexible plugin system which can be used to dynamically add new advanced features
- You can install the gedit and gedit-plugins packages.
A Homebrew formula is available: brew install gedit
gedit is available on the Microsoft Store.
Getting in Touch