gedit is an easy-to-use and general-purpose text editor. Its development started in 1998, at the beginnings of the GNOME project, with a good integration with that desktop environment.
You can use it to write simple notes and documents, or you can enable more advanced features that are useful for software development.
- Files are opened in tabs
- Full support for internationalized text (UTF-8)
- Configurable fonts and colors
- Print and print preview support
- Search and replace with support of regular expressions
- A side panel with an integrated file browser
- Word auto-completion
- Auto indentation
- Text wrapping
- Line numbers
- Right margin
- Highlight current line
- Highlight matching brackets
- Editing files from remote locations
- Backup files
- A flexible plugin system which can be used to dynamically add new advanced features
- You can install the gedit and gedit-plugins packages.
A Homebrew formula is available: brew install gedit
gedit is available on the Microsoft Store.
Getting in Touch
Reporting bugs (see the list of common gedit bugs)
Discourse (Applications category, gedit tag)
Old mailing list (archived)