gedit is a general-purpose text editor. It has been created in 1998, at the beginnings of GNOME.
The first goal of gedit is to be easy to use, with a simple interface by default. More advanced features are available by enabling plugins.
- Files are opened in tabs
- Full support for internationalized text (UTF-8)
- Configurable fonts and colors
- Print and print preview support
- Search and replace with support of regular expressions
- A side panel with an integrated file browser
- Word auto-completion
- Auto indentation
- Text wrapping
- Line numbers
- Right margin
- Highlight current line
- Highlight matching brackets
- Editing files from remote locations
- Backup files
- A flexible plugin system which can be used to dynamically add new advanced features
You can install the gedit and gedit-plugins packages.
macOS packages (a bit outdated)
A Homebrew formula for the latest version of gedit is available: brew install gedit
The current way to install gedit on Microsoft Windows is with MSYS2.
Getting in Touch
IRC channel: the #gedit channel on irc.gnome.org
Discourse (Applications category, gedit tag)
Old mailing list (archived)
The gedit application is based on Gedit Technology.
You can fund the gedit project on Liberapay: