Frequently Asked Questions about Evince
Add you questions here if you think some are missing...
- Q: What does the word Evince mean?
- A: Evince means to show or express something clearly.
- Q: Why Evince, what happened to Gpdf?
A: Evince is essentially a fork of Gpdf that took place back in late December of 2004. It was originally a quick team hack project by one of the original [MartinKretzschmar Gpdf developers] along with many people from the Red Hat Desktop team. For more information about this, check out http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-March/msg00035.html
- Q: Does Evince replace GGV?
- A: Evince handles Postscript through the same mechanism that GGV handles it so it read the same documents as GGV, however GGV did provide some options and functionality that Evince doesn't and may not ever.
- Q: What library does Evince use for rendering pdf?
- Q: Is it possible to have a side-by-side view in fullscreen?
A: Yes, there already exists a working dual page view in development check the roadmap for more details.
- Q: Evince isn't translated in my language or the translation is out of date, how can I fix this?
A: Great! Thanks for the help, please communicate directly with the coordinator of your language ( see GNOME Translation Project Teams ) or your language's own team list (if it has one). They will let you know how to help and commit your changes to the Evince project.
- Q: Who do I contact when I've found a bug in Evince?
A: If you've found a bug in Evince see the Reporting Bugs in Evince page.
- Q: Evince doesn't support the ***** format, who can I ask about creating support for that format?
- Q: Can I set the inital window size of Evince?
- Q: After I have searched for a word, is there any way to close the search form at the bottom of the page?
A: Press <Esc> or click with you mouse on the viewing area.
- Q: How do I make Evince auto reload a document when it is changed on the disk? For example when working with the LaTeX.
- A: Evince automatically reloads the document when it has changed on disk
- Q: When I scroll down a page, I often lose track of my current location on the page. I then have to scan the page for the line that I'm supposed to read next. How to get around this?
- Q: How can I specify settings for Evince, like the default command for printing? I always want the same command for printing (an lpr command) in my environment, and it's disappointing to have to select lpr and then type in the option every time.
A: You should be able to change your default settings by Using the Edit->Save Current Settings as Default (Ctrl+T)
- Q: How can I select text in one column within a twice column document?
- Q: Why is the "Find" button on the Edit menu grayed out in some documents? How do I fix this?
- Q: Where is Evince's state stored? How do I reset it?
- Q: How do I switch off "continuous" mode permanently?
- Q: How do I switch on "best fit" permanently?
- Q: Changing "Save a Copy..." default directory in Document Viewer 2.30.3 aka Evince - Can it be done?
- Q: How do I set the default paper size to A4?
A: System>Administration>Preferences. Select 'Printer' tab, then properties, & printer options
- Q: When I do a "find", the index pane is replaced by the result. How do I get the index back?
- Q: How do I specify placement of evince's window on the command line (the standard -geometry parameter doesn't seem to work)?