Empathy is a messaging program which supports text, voice, video chat, and file transfers over many different protocols. You can tell it about your accounts on all those services and do all your chatting within one application.
Empathy is currently no longer in development (see also Attic/Unmaintained).
- Multi-protocol: Google Talk (Jabber/XMPP), MSN, IRC, Salut, AIM, Facebook, Yahoo!, Gadu Gadu, Groupwise, ICQ and QQ. (Supported protocols depend on installed Telepathy Connection Manager components.) Supports all protocols supported by Pidgin.
- File transfer for XMPP, and local networks.
- Voice and video call using SIP, XMPP and Google Talk.
- Some IRC support.
Conversation theming (see list of supported Adium themes).
- Sharing and viewing location information.
- Private and group chat (with smileys and spell checking).
- Conversation logging.
- Automatic away and extended away presence.
- Automatic reconnection using Network Manager.
- Python bindings for libempathy and libempathy-gtk
- Support for collaborative applications (“tubes”).
- Source Code
Frequently Asked Questions
Protocols: For problems with a specific protocol such as Yahoo, SIP, Gtalk, etc.
Roadmap: Overview of what's being worked on and what's planned for the future
- Empathy's code is currently a mess regarding coding style. Please follow the following policy when contributing:
- If you are modifying an existing file, you should stay coherent and use the style of the file.
Though if you are making a lot of modifications, it would be good to use the Telepathy coding style and port the rest of the file to this style (record such commits separately)
When you change the coding style of a file, or create a new file, don't forget to set as first line of both .c and .h files:
Telepathy Style: /* -*- Mode: C; tab-width: 2; indent-tabs-mode: nil; c-basic-offset: 2; -*- */ Empathy Style: /* -*- Mode: C; tab-width: 8; indent-tabs-mode: t; c-basic-offset: 8 -*- */
IRC room is #empathy on Gimpnet (irc.gimp.org). irc://irc.gimp.org/empathy
Mailing list is telepathy AT lists.freedesktop.org
Just dive in! Understanding Telepathy helps.
- You can easily run Empathy from source by setting EMPATHY_SRCDIR to your Empathy source directory.