GNOME Accessibility Team
Report for the Fourth Quarter 2010
Joanmarie Diggs and Alejandro Piñeiro Iglesias
TODO: Put some nice summary here
Submitted by Mario Sanchez Prada, 10 Jan 2011
Finished fixing all WebKitGTK+ bugs blocking ORCA support, still four of them pending to be integrated upstream, though. In more detail:
- Main achievements:
- Improvements in keyboard navigation when in "caret browsing" mode.
Improvements in the implementation of the AtkText interface across different types of exposed objects.
Implementation of the AtkHypertext/AtkHyperlink stuff for correct exposure of hyperlinks to AT's.
- Finish implementation of the ATK_ROLE_COMBO_BOX role.
- Improvements in the notification of changes in the state of objects (e.g. 'focused', 'selected') through emission of signals and state updates for accessibility objects.
- Allow to select multiple non-adjacent items in a multiple select control with the keyboard only.
- Bugs fixed, not integrated yet:
- Main achievements:
Attended to the GNOME Accessibility Hackfest at the 1st AEGIS Conference, held in early October in Seville, Spain.
Attended to the WebKitGTK+ 2010 Hackfest, held in early October in A Coruña, Spain.
Plans for the Q1 of 2011 is to keep working on a11y bugs, but this time focused on those "bugs blocking Orca support for rich internet applications (and other stuff)" (bug 30796), such as those related to properly exposing embedded objects across with text paragraphs and improving the support of the WAI-ARIA specification in WebKitGTK+.
GNOME Shell Magnifier
Submitted by Joseph Scheuhammer, 12 Jan 2011
Published first draft of Common Magnifier Framework.
- Investigated various technologies in order to provide colour, brightness, and contrast control. Technologies included Clutter, Cogl, and GLSL (OpenGL shading language).
- Began implementation of brightness and contrast enhancements using Clutter's shader implementation where the actual work is done using GLSL.
- Will submit patch early in first quarter of 2011.
Modified magnifier preferences dialog (switch from GConf to GSettings) based on review of patch (622414, comment 64). Latest patch was submitted 11/11/11.
- Improvements to existing functionality:
Submitted by Daniel Garcia, 17 Feb 2011
AtkTextInterface is implemented in Evince since 2.32 but needs poppler 0.16 to work.
- Caret mode is implemented and works for pdf documents, but patches are waiting for approval. Pressing F7 change between caret mode and normal mode. In caret mode you can navigate throught text using normal keys, left, right, up and down, and select text pressing shift + normal movement keys.
AtkHypertext interface is implemented and patches are waiting for approval. It's needed to test it more, but it seems to work, so links are accessibles in PDF too.
Text attributes like font family are exposed in AtkText interface and a patch is sended. I'm working currently fixing that patch to make it better. Depends on poppler patch, so needed poppler 0.18 (patch to expose text attributes in poppler glib sended, waiting for revision/approval)
Submitted by Mike Gorse, 17 Feb 2011
- Refactored the AT-side bindings to create a C library (called libatspi) with Python bindings created with the help of pygobject. Note that libatspi is conceptually similar but not API-compatible with the original CSPI library, as some changes were made to improve compatibility with gobject-introspection.
- Merged in support for direct DBus connections between ATs and the apps that they inspect. This greatly improves performance, together with the C refactor.