Meeting Summary

  • Meeting started by Piñeiro at 16:17:16 CET.
  • Meeting ended at 17:38:05 CET.
  • Participants (Lines Said):
    • Joanie - joanie (173)
    • Piñeiro - API (110)
    • Joseph - clown (86)
    • Juanjo - jjmarin (10)
  • Log

W3C Update

JAW Update

  • Piñeiro sent that JAW status mail, and we had a brief chat with Peter Korn.
  • We don't have new information since then, but Peter told us that he would contact the proper people.
  • Meanwhile, an Oracle worker sent an email to orca-list talking about Windows Java bridge, so that seems to suggest that right now Linux is not on their priority list.

  • It seems really unlikely to get some kind of action from Oracle with respect to JAW.
  • Some of the more popular java based programs are "accessible enough" like eclipse in spite of not having JAW.
  • Eclipse and its widgets are accessible because they have their own a11y implementation that mirrors GAIL.
  • Joanie yesterday discovered that not only does JAW not build, but it's still expecting GNOME 2 stuff.
  • So next question is: should we just assume that JAW is dead or do something with JAW?
  • Do we have people resources to do something with Jaw?
  • ACTION: Piñeiro will send a mail answering his own mail about JAW and the conclusions shared in this meeting.


  • The talk on either the Foundation and/or Marketing lists suggests that there will not be a Q3 report.
  • Juanjo has posted to the Foundation list about having reports for each release instead of quarterly reports.
  • It seems it gets harder and harder to get the quarterly reports in time (the a11y team is always one of the most responsive, even when we are late).
  • Juanjo thinks that part of the problem is that the quarterly reports don't fit very well into the release cycles.

WebKit2 and GNOME 3.8

  • For GNOME 3.8 webkitgtk developers are planning to move to webkit2.
  • This is a major change, and although we should also be aware/vigilant about regressions it is also important to note that they implied that they are going to stick to specific library versions, or more specifically, APIs.
  • In that sense if would be somewhat difficult to add new APIs after that release.
  • ATK developers (Piñeiro, and Joanie as Orca is the main client) are taking that into account for APIs like AtkCollection, an old would-like-to-have, that probably should be sped up now.

Miscellaneous Time

  • (Nothing logged)

Action Items

  • Piñeiro:
    • Send a mail answering his own mail about JAW and the conclusions shared in this meeting.

Ongoing / Rolled-Over

  • Joanie:
    • Do a full evaluation of the accessibility breakage in Evolution 3.6 and file bugs accordingly.
  • Juanjo:
    • Take a look at the current a11y material in order to make an action plan.
  • Piñeiro:
    • Create some usability-configurability related bugs, using Bryen's mail as a starting point.
    • Investigate that "Enable by Keyboard" thing.
    • Update the AtkObject:children-changed documentation, as this could be also used on ATK implementors.

Accessibility/Minutes/20130103 (last edited 2013-01-23 18:38:23 by JoanmarieDiggs)