Meeting Summary

  • Meeting started by Piñeiro at 16:07:41 CET.
  • Meeting ended at 17:21:52 CET.
  • Participants (Lines Said):
    • Joanie - joanie (125)
    • Joseph - clown (86)
    • Piñeiro - API (82)
    • Juanjo - jjmarin1 (12)
    • Mike - mgorse (4)
    • Heidi - heidi (1)
  • Log

Python 3 (Are we there yet?)

  • Accerciser is not fully working for Joanie in Python 3.3.
  • Accerciser's Interface viewer is not showing states (at least)
  • ACTION: Joanie will triage the python 3.3 failures in Accerciser and submit patches so that we are fully working.
  • The Magnification example is not yet python 3 compatible either.
  • Conclusion: We are not there yet.

GNOME 3.8 updates

  • This week is GNOME 3.7.3 release.
  • We have a number of changes which have been on the TODO list since the ATK/AT-SPI2 hackfest in May 2011.
  • Joanie thinks it is high time we start addressing those items.
  • What we do w.r.t. API changes and possible breaks still needs to be discussed.
  • But changes to ATK will then require changes in AT-SPI2 and pyatspi.
  • And then in the ATs like Orca and Accerciser.
  • And then we'll request toolkits implement those things.
  • Thus Joanie feels that if we indeed wish to tackle these things for the GNOME 3.8 release, we need to start the ATK stuff now.
  • Joanie forgot to research how far back the Glib equivalent functions for GObject functions go.

W3C updates

  • The editor's draft of the Independent UI events is almost ready for the next step.
  • That next step is "working draft" status.
  • Any who are interested in tracking progress, the editor's draft is here:

  • Also, a question has come up about the place of the aria role "toolbar" within the aria taxonomy.
  • Tt has been suggested that toolbars are "composite widgets".
  • There has been one strong objection to this.
  • The objection is based on this other aria requirement: Authors SHOULD ensure that a composite widget exist as a single navigation stop within the larger navigation system of the web page. Once the composite widget has focus, authors SHOULD provide a separate navigation mechanism for users to navigate to elements that are descendants or owned children of the composite element.
  • Some feel that making a toolbar navigable with only TAB keystrokes is a pain point for a keyboard only users.
  • Others feel that requiring authors to have a dual navigation system (TAB to get to the toolbar, arrows to navigate within) is onerous for every toolbar scenario.
  • DHTML Style Guide recommended that dual nav system for toolbars, and other widgets. Their recommendation was folded into the ARIA best practices guide.
  • The consensus among the gnome a11y developers present at this meeting is that the dual nav systme is appropriate for toolbars.


Reminder: Q3's (maybe?)

  • This is not only a reminder, but an update.
  • It was suggested that it would be good to change the current procedure.
  • Tt seems that doing the quarterly reports were not really popular.
  • We were some of the "good kids" in spite of being almost always over deadline.
  • The marketing team (and others?) are still in process of getting proposals.

Miscellaneous Time

  • On the topic of accessibility shortcuts:
    • Piñeiro fulfilled his AI of pinging the Design Team about accessibility shortcuts.
    • Juanjo wants to note that gnome shell doesn't use the tab/arrow keys model in the dash, it uses the arrows-or-tab/menu key. The problem of the menu key is that it is not widely available in all keyboards.
    • Piñeiro points out that it was proposed as as a replacement to the contrl+alt+tab switcher, i.e. Use tab to move around the main container of the shell, and the arrows inside.
    • Piñeiro is not sure if this is being developed or not, and in any case he proposed to keep the ctrl+alt+tab switcher there.
  • Piñeiro pinged Peter Korn about the JAW thing, waiting response.
  • What Animated Spanish Dwarfs Sing (in case you were wondering)

  • On the topic of the use of the FoG funds:
    • Bastien and Karen are drafting a document for David Bolter's consideration because some of the money is the original Mozilla donation to GNOME.
    • Joanie believes that draft will go to David at the end of the week and pending approval, the request for proposals written
    • Joanie has had to recuse herself because of conflicts of interest.

Action Items

  • Joanie:
    • Triage the python 3.3 failures in Accerciser and submit patches so that we are fully working.

Ongoing / Rolled-Over

  • Joanie:
    • Do a full evaluation of the accessibility breakage in Evolution 3.6 and file bugs accordingly.
  • Juanjo:
    • Take a look at the current a11y material in order to make an action plan.
  • Piñeiro:
    • Create some usability-configurability related bugs, using Bryen's mail as a starting point.
    • Investigate that "Enable by Keyboard" thing.
    • Update the AtkObject:children-changed documentation, as this could be also used on ATK implementors.

Accessibility/Minutes/20121220 (last edited 2013-01-17 00:30:53 by JoanmarieDiggs)