Meeting Summary

  • Meeting started by Joanie at 16:07:43 CET.
  • Meeting ended at 17:22:39 CET.
  • Participants (Lines Said):
    • Joanie - joanie (184)
    • Joseph - clown (76)
    • Juanjo - jjmarin (25)
    • Mike - mgorse (17)
  • Log

Java ATK Wrapper: Abandonware?

  • There has been some recent talk on the Orca list about Java accessibility.
  • One user indicated that he could not build the latest.
  • Joanie just tried and confirmed that it doesn't build (autotools issue probably).
  • But this reminds us (yet again) that the former Sun guys are gone. :(

  • Joanie wonders what we want to do about this, adding that perhaps we should wait until Piñeiro is back to chime in.
  • Questions to ask are:
    • Should we (gnome a11y developers) attempt to maintain the java atk wrapper? Or,
    • Should we touch base with Peter and ask him what Oracle's intentions are here? Or,
    • Should we simplay abandon it?
  • Joanie is going to see if she can sort out the build issues.
  • re: asking Oracle, we could publish that request on the java-access list to make the request more public.
  • Eclipse doesn't have this problem probably because it uses the SWT GUI for java, which means native GTK widgets with a java wrapper.
  • The problem occurs for Java Swing GUI since that GUI is "pure java" widgets.
  • Pure java widgets are not realized by any native widgets, so they need an a11y bridge of some sort.

Python 3 NOW

  • This weekend, Matthias stated in #a11y that it would be ideal for us to have the entire accessibility stack Python 3 ready for 3.7.2's release.
  • The 3.7.2 release tarballs are due Monday the 19th.
  • The only non-ready module from our team is Accerciser.
  • ACTION: Joanie will ping Javi yet again about this.

GNOME 3.8 updates

  • Mike is working on having keystroke listeners preserved/reinstated if the registry daemon dies.
  • ACTION: Joanie will try to find a way to reproduce apps going away when the registry crashes and file a bug.

W3C updates

  • Joanie emailed the Board list about GNOME joining the W3C.
  • Hopefully it will wind up on the Tuesday agenda.
  • One of the groups that Joseph participates in is the Independent User Interface" group.
  • The IndiUI discussion list is public in terms of reading. If you want to post to the list, you do have to sign up. It's not unlike signing up of gnome discussion lists.
  • Joseph also particpates in the PFWG — the group defining the ARIA standard.
    • No news this week. We continue to test implementations of ARIA in different browsers/operating systems/desktops.
    • "PFWG" is "Protocols and Formats Working Group"
    • They are responsible for making sure that other W3C standards (e.g. SVG) do not inadvertantly create a11y problems.
    • But, the PFWG major thrust currently is getting ARIA 1.0 out.


Reminder: Q3's

"Miscellaneous Time"

  • Joanie notes that Miscellaneous Time is far less fun when Fearless Leader is away.

Action Items


Ongoing / Rolled-Over

  • Team members:
  • Joanie
    • Draft the final Q2 report for the team and get Piñeiro's review.
    • Do a full evaluation of the accessibility breakage in Evolution 3.6 and file bugs accordingly.
  • Juanjo:
    • Take a look at the current a11y material in order to make an action plan.
  • Piñeiro:
    • Create some usability-configurability related bugs, using Bryen's mail as a starting point
    • Investigate that "Enable by Keyboard" thing.
    • Update the AtkObject:children-changed documentation, as this could be also used on ATK implementors.

Accessibility/Minutes/20121115 (last edited 2012-11-22 13:08:51 by AlejandroPiñeiro)