Meeting Summary

  • Meeting started by Piñeiro at 16:06:12 CET.
  • Meeting ended at 17:30:19 CET.
  • Participants (Lines Said):
    • Joseph - clown (109)
    • Joanie - joanie (102)
    • Piñeiro - API (81)
    • Juanjo - jjmarin (21)
    • Javi - jhernandez (4)
    • Mike - mgorse (1)
  • Log

FoG update

  • Joanie pinged Bastien and Karen about the proposals. Karen said she would share this task with Bastien.
  • Joanie forwarded the original proposals to the Board list. Karen initially responded, stating that we'd discuss these proposals on the Board list and/or the upcoming meeting.

GNOME 3.6.2 and/or 3.8 updates

  • Finally dash support on orca was accepted, and included both on master and gnome-3-6 branch.
  • LINK:

  • If nothing strange happens it will be available on 3.6.2 next week.
  • Piñeiro agreed with Rui Matos and Daiki Ueno to have a 3.6.2 release of Caribou with the most critical stuff.
  • Joseph explored the re-entrancy problem in gnome-shell and the JavaScript focus tracker. He discounted hypothetical solutions to the problem by trying to execute the functions in a deferred (asynchronous) way using the main loop.

  • An ugly Gtk+ crasher was found by a user and is now fixed by Cosimo (yay!) Should be included in GNOME 3.6.2. (See bug 687872.)
  • Joanie did a small-but-big performance improvement for Orca's flat review which will be included in GNOME 3.6.2.
  • Python 3 has been approved GNOME 3.8.
  • Orca's been ready since before the 3.6 release, though Joanie is still finding and fixing the occasional bug.
  • Speech-dispatcher and liblouis seem to be ready to go.
  • BrlApi is still being tested by Joanie. She submitted a tiny patch to the BrlTTY folks and is testing and bug fixing in Orca.

Closer ties with standards-writing groups (e.g. W3C)

  • Joanie has been thinking for a while now that it would be good if the standard-definers/writers and the standard-implementors interacted more so that they each knew what the other was doing.
  • Joanie (and other developers here) lacks the time to be "members in good standing" in W3C groups.
  • Joanie would like to find some other way to coordinate better and share information.
  • Joanie notes that Joseph is here each week. ;) And he serves on several(?) W3C groups.

  • ACTION: Joanie will talk to the Board about GNOME joining the W3C.
  • Joseph reported the following:
    • The last ARIA meeting involved a group (of about 4 participants) working through the set of test cases.
    • The point was to determine if the test cases were valid, fix them if there were not, and execute the test. ("Execute the test" means loading the test file into a browser, and running an accessibility inspector to see if the predicted result matched the actual a11y tree. The browers include FF, IE, Chrome, and Safari.)
    • (detail) Joseph is concentrating testing FF on GNOME.


  • Juanjo has started a thread on the gnome accessibility mailing list to discuss about how to update the accessibility information from the GNOME web pages.

  • Juanjo will write an article for the GNOME annual 2011 about the FoG Accessibility Campaign.

Reminder: Q3's

"Miscellaneous Time"

Action Items


  • Joanie will talk to the Board about GNOME joining the W3C.

Ongoing / Rolled-Over

  • Team members:
  • Joanie
    • (with Piñeiro) touch base to see if that evince a11y could be moved forward
    • Draft the final Q2 report for the team and get Piñeiro's review.
    • Do a full evaluation of the accessibility breakage in Evolution 3.6 and file bugs accordingly.
  • Juanjo:
    • Take a look at the current a11y material in order to make an action plan.
  • Piñeiro:
    • Create some usability-configurability related bugs, using Bryen's mail as a starting point
    • (with Joanie) touch base to see if that evince a11y could be moved forward
    • List some of "touch-friendly" accessibility features (ie: possibility to define a gesture to control a11y features like zoom), and send it to design team(?)
    • Investigate that "Enable by Keyboard" thing.
    • Send a mail to bastien to know 1. if he has specific features for the bridge 2. if he plans to work on that.
    • Update the AtkObject:children-changed documentation, as this could be also used on ATK implementors.

Accessibility/Minutes/20121108 (last edited 2012-11-15 13:50:09 by JoanmarieDiggs)