Meeting Summary

  • Meeting started by Piñeiro at 16:06:46 CET.
  • Meeting ended at 17:47:11 CET.
  • Participants (Lines Said):
    • Joanie - joanie (244)
    • Piñeiro - API (146)
    • Joseph - clown (87)
    • Juanjo - jjmarin (26)
    • Mike - mgorse (15)
  • Log

Choosing the project(s) to be proposed for use of the FoG funds.

  • As we were saying during the last two meetings, the FoG for accessibility has ended and now we must consider and reach some decisions with respect to how we would like to use the money.
  • The original list of proposals is here:

  • We decided and announced on the mailing list that we would discuss this at today's and next week's meeting.
  • Piñeiro thinks we should try to set a specific deadline to have a proposal, something like 2 weeks.
  • Joanie proposes the following for team consideration, discussion, and possibly a vote:
    • There would be two "projects" put out for bid.
    • The first project (to be refined) would be: GNOME Shell Magnifier improvements. This would include, but not necessarily be limited to, caret and focus tracking.
    • The second project (to be refined) would be: Document Accessibility. This would include, but not necessarily be limited to: Evince accessibility implementation, GNOME Documents accessibility, and (possibly) LibreOffice Document accessibility.

  • Discussion regarding Joanie's proposal:
    • Joseph pointed out that focus/caret tracking is for more than the magnifier. It's really a device that other GNOME Shell objects can make use of. An example is the onscreen keyboard.
    • Piñeiro stated that as far as the people at the meeting know, the big accessibility problem of the new Documents feature is the lack of keyboard navigation, something that the Documents developers are already aware of.
    • Piñeiro likes joanmarie proposal.
    • Mike agrees with the proposal.
    • Juanjo agrees with the proposal.
    • Joseph agrees with the proposal.
    • Juanjo thinks it is also worth mentioning that Evince support other formats like PS and XPS, so it must clear in the proposal if the work will include other formats than PDF.
  • ACTION: Joanie, when doing the minutes, will include in the meeting reminder text which includes the two proposed areas of work and encourage "core members" -- as well as others with input -- to attend next meeting where a decision will be reached.

Feature proposals period for 3.8 started

  • Matthias migrated the focus/caret tracking feature page over from 3.6 features.
  • Joseph updated the statuus of focus/caret tracking.
  • Reminder: feature proposals period for 3.8 started, start to think, and make your proposals.


  • Joseph made a good summary of his work on

  • Piñeiro was mostly working on webkitgtk stuff these days, nothing to say in relation with gnome-shell. Joanie has been working on the same areas, but has also done some Orca work.
  • Joseph Added patch to distribute interim focus tracker -- needs review.
  • Joseph reported that Peter Korn wants the focus tracker to launch on startup, but Joseph thinks launching on login is good enough. Yet he is wondering: What is the correct approach? And should there be a ".desktop" file to launch it from the GUI?

Marketing and Fundraising

  • The Marketing team is writing the Release Notes for GNOME 3.6.
  • By now, Juanjo has the Accessibility always on and the Brightness, Contrast and Inversion in the list.
  • The team should provide Juanjo with other notes.

Quarterly report

  • Joanie was going to write the q2 this morning but rawhide took out her system.
  • Joanie will try to write the Q2 tomorrow.
  • Joanie has had a crazy-busy couple of months and will get back on track soon. She promises.
  • Piñeiro stated that last week we were talking about q3, that was an error, please people we need to fill the q2 report.
  • Joanie pointed out that people filled in the q2 already. She needs to write the summary. Q2s are late and it is her fault.

Miscellaneous Time

Action Items


  • Joanie:
    • When doing the minutes, will include in the meeting reminder text which includes the two proposed areas of work and encourage "core members" -- as well as others with input -- to attend next meeting where a decision will be reached.

Ongoing / Rolled-Over

  • Team members:
  • Brian:
    • Send a mail summarizing his proposal regarding a testing-centered design.
    • Announce his Mago tests on the gnome-accessibility-devel list, and also create a README and INSTALL.
  • Joanie
    • (with Piñeiro) touch base to see if that evince a11y could be moved forward
    • Draft the final Q2 report for the team and get Piñeiro's review.
    • Do a full evaluation of the accessibility breakage in Evolution 3.4 and file bugs accordingly.
  • Joseph:
    • Joseph to email Jan and Peter about statistics regarding users with disabilities.
    • Explore the JavaScript Atspi import further to see how much is available.

    • move focus-tracking-in-gnome-shell from the 3.6 features page to the 3.8 features page
    • update the Brightness, Contrast, and Inversion features sub-page on 3.6 features page with respect to the status of the control center UI.
  • Juanjo:
    • Contact Bryen about the OLF a11y booth.
    • Promote the a11ycamp in the gnome community.
    • Ask the design team about their plan to release a new set symbolic icons for GNOME 3.6.
    • Take a look at the current a11y material in order to make an action plan.
  • Mike:
    • Add the keyword 'accessibility' to gnome core module bugs he's filed (e.g. evolution and nautilus) which are still open.
    • File a bug regarding GAIL treeview children / children-changed signals, attach a patch, and call for testers.
    • Modify libatspi to fill in the index when possible (ie, when it has the child cached, which it will not for trees with MANAGES_DESCENDANTS for instance)
  • Piñeiro:
    • send a reminder to the a11y list so people could start to think about 3.8 features
    • (with Joanie) touch base to see if that evince a11y could be moved forward
    • List some of "touch-friendly" accessibility features (ie: possibility to define a gesture to control a11y features like zoom), and send it to design team(?)
    • Send a mail to bastien to know 1. if he has specific features for the bridge 2. if he plans to work on that.
    • Update the AtkObject:children-changed documentation, as this could be also used on ATK implementors.

Accessibility/Minutes/20120906 (last edited 2012-09-13 00:07:09 by JoanmarieDiggs)