- Meeting started by Piñeiro at 16:15:59 CET.
- Meeting ended at 17:30:32 CET
- Participants (Lines Said):
- Joanie - joanie (122)
- Piñeiro - API (104)
- Joseph - clown (57)
- Mike - mgorse (8)
GUADEC summary sent, questions?
- Piñeiro sent a mail with a summary about accesibility related stuff that happened during GUADEC.
- No questions on the mailing list. He allocated a topic on the meeting just in case someone has questions.
- Everyone should read the full summary, but the highlights are:
- Piñeiro attended the pre-GUADEC UX hackfest.
- Piñeiro gave two presentations about accessibility, one full presentation and one 5-minute summary at the AGM.
- GUADEC had two Wayland presnations. Some relevant discussion occurred which impacts our users and modules (especially around keysnooping)
- After GUADEC we had a two-day unconference. Various team and non-team people floated in and out for discussion and one presentation gave by Joanie.
- Evince a11y was briefly discussed by the developer who had been working on it (Daniel Garcia), but that work may be stalled yet again.
- We had some discussion with the Sugar/OLPC folks. Hard to say what direction that will wind up taking (if any).
- We discovered some security problems about passwords + a11y. Those are now fixed.
Feature proposals period for 3.8 started
- Feature proposals period for 3.8 started.
- ACTION: Piñeiro will send a reminder to the a11y list so people could start to think about it.
- Focus tracking on gnome-shell will be moved to 3.7 (not needed a re-proposal, just mention on #release-team).
- ACTION: Joseph to move focus-tracking-in-gnome-shell from the 3.6 features page to the 3.8 features page.
- oOe feature we would like to have is evince a11y, although we can't propose it yet, until confirm is someone will be work on that, and provide a plan for.
- ACTION: Piñeiro and Joanie, touch base to see if that evince a11y could be moved forward.
- In Piñeiro's opinion, most of the rest of the work is mostly improve the stack, mainly checking that the always-on stuff works properly.
- ACTION: Joseph to update the Brightness, Contrast, and Inversion features sub-page on 3.6 features page with respect to the status of the control center UI.
- Piñeiro included more name/role related patches on gnome-shell.
- Battery level and current wifi, one of the major complains from Orca users, are now exposed.
- Piñeiro would like to add support for more that one label per item, not sure if in time for 3.6.
- Message tray (place were notifications are placed) are now keyboard navigable, and a shortcut Super+M was added to open it. Piñeiro opened a bug because Super+M didn't work on the overview, so probably a different shortcut is required.
- ACTION: Joanie to research when exactly gnome-shell notifications became presented by Orca. (This preceded keyboard navigability and may be something also worth mentioning in the 3.6 release notes)
Joanie and Piñeiro have continued to work on WebKitGtk accessibility so Epiphany will be more accessible.
- ACTION: Juanjo should check with Joanie about the above two items when preparing the Release Notes for 3.6.
- Seems Joanie didn't know what Piñeiro was refering to with notifications versus message tray.
Planning how to use the FoG funds
- Accessibility FoG has finished, now we need to decide how to use the money.
- Piñeiro's idea was talk about that on the a11y-meetings. But it seems that due holidays and so we didn't have too much people at recent meetings.
- Joanie thinks that we should do the following:
- Start with the original list of proposed projects which was used when launching the FoG (after all, we cannot do a "bait and switch" on contributors).
- Given that we are not talking all that much money, identify which of those items are the most critical.
- Propose those items as the "final" projects to the Board.
The original list is here: https://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/Marketing/FoG
- Announce the discussion of projects for FoG funds on the a11y mailing list.
- Stipulate that the discussion will happen at the weekly a11y meetings.
- Decide on a deadline for the end of that discussion, and state that explcitly in the announcement.
- Invite all interested parties to attend the a11y weekly meeting.
- We need to fill quarterly report.
- We need to start to think about release notes for 3.6.
- Joanie saw that on the marketing list Juanjo volunteered to tackle release notes for a11y.
- This is why Joanie added the earlier gnome 3.6 info and action points.
- Andre did send the email. Everyone had fallen behind due to GUADEC, etc.
- Joanie will try to put something together soon but has been working hard on a project.
- ACTION: Joanie will write something at the first of next week and submit it to Piñeiro for review.
Joanie just added https://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/QuarterlyReports/2012/Q3
- Re: 3.6 issues:
- Joseph opened a bug and provided a patch for pyatspi.
- This is a fallback for the incomplete gnome-shell focus tracking.
- Status is: reviewed an approved by Mike Gorse.
- Joseph added another patch to fix one annoying aspect of the initial patch — not reviewed yet.
- Per Mike's advice, Joseph is looking into modifying makefile so the examples folder is included in the tar file.
- (with Piñeiro) touch base to see if that evince a11y could be moved forward
- research when exactly gnome-shell notifications became presented by Orca. (This preceded keyboard navigability and may be something also worth mentioning in the 3.6 release notes).
- submit the Q2s assuming there is still time.
- move focus-tracking-in-gnome-shell from the 3.6 features page to the 3.8 features page
- update the Brightness, Contrast, and Inversion features sub-page on 3.6 features page with respect to the status of the control center UI.
- send a reminder to the a11y list so people could start to think about 3.8 features
- (with Joanie) touch base to see if that evince a11y could be moved forward
Ongoing / Rolled-Over
- Team members:
- Send a mail summarizing his proposal regarding a testing-centered design.
- Announce his Mago tests on the gnome-accessibility-devel list, and also create a README and INSTALL.
- Draft the final Q2 report for the team and get Piñeiro's review.
- Do a full evaluation of the accessibility breakage in Evolution 3.4 and file bugs accordingly.
- Joseph to email Jan and Peter about statistics regarding users with disabilities.
- Contact Bryen about the OLF a11y booth.
- Promote the a11ycamp in the gnome community.
- Ask the design team about their plan to release a new set symbolic icons for GNOME 3.6.
- Take a look at the current a11y material in order to make an action plan.
- Add the keyword 'accessibility' to gnome core module bugs he's filed (e.g. evolution and nautilus) which are still open.
- File a bug regarding GAIL treeview children / children-changed signals, attach a patch, and call for testers.
- Modify libatspi to fill in the index when possible (ie, when it has the child cached, which it will not for trees with MANAGES_DESCENDANTS for instance)
- List some of "touch-friendly" accessibility features (ie: possibility to define a gesture to control a11y features like zoom), and send it to design team(?)
- Send a mail to bastien to know 1. if he has specific features for the bridge 2. if he plans to work on that.
Update the AtkObject:children-changed documentation, as this could be also used on ATK implementors.