Meeting Summary

  • Meeting started by Joanie at 16:20:19 CET.
  • Meeting ended at 18:32:24 CET.
  • Participants (Lines Said):
    • Joanie - joanie (196)
    • Joseph - clown (154)
    • Piñeiro - API (105)
    • Juanjo - jjmarin (72)
    • Javi - jhernandez (15)
    • Mike - mgorse (4)
  • Log

Impromptu meeting is impromptu

  • Joanie is in Spain, Piñeiro is giving an off-site presentation. Both seem to have spaced out today's meeting.
  • But there was interest in having a meeting anyway. :)

Q2 Reports Due

  • Q2 reports are due, we have been giving the first reminder from Andre. Thanks to those who have provided their report info.
  • ACTION: Joanie and Piñeiro will add their stuff and then write the summary.

Reminder: Sign up for the GUADEC A11yCamp

  • We are having a two-day Unconference (with a wee bit of structure to accomodate schedules)
  • We are planning to also be in IRC. If people are interested and able to participate remotely, they should sign up and indicate this.
  • LINK:

  • LINK:

  • It seems the call Juanjo made in the marketing list for a marketing session in the a11camp hasn't been very successful :-/
  • Joanie is tentatively thinking that 30 July will be more cross team focused and that 31 July will be more team-specific.
  • As shown on the BoF schedule page, the days start at 10:00 (CET) and end at 19:00.
  • ACTION: Joanie will add some of these details to the A11yCamp page over the weekend.

  • Meg Ford plans to discuss her and Cosmo's work on high contrast themes and how they integrate with the magnifier colour effects at the GUADEC a11y BOF.
  • She also plans to discuss this at the UX hackfest next week.
  • She is going to email information about the issue(s) to the a11y list. Joseph is unsure when.
  • Some of this is discussed in 655873.

Planning how to use the FoG funds

  • Joanie just created a page on which we can list and flesh out possible projects.
  • LINK:

  • Team members with ideas/proposals should add them to this page.
  • They don't (yet) have to be "pretty".
  • Once we as a team have agreed on the candidates, we can pretty the language up.
  • As a reminder, funding from the FoG is $20,000.
  • Thus we either have a bunch of tiny projects/bounties or we have one big one (or maybe 2 medium, underfunded ones ;) )


  • The control center UI for the inversion, brightness, and contrast effects has a blocker bug.
  • The view is that the colour effects should apply to the whole screen, not just the zoom 'window'.
  • The blocker bug is to re-factor the magnifier code to make this possible.
  • See 676814

  • Joseph has argued that this is not necessarily the correct approach, and represents another delay in terms of giving users easy access to the effects.
  • Joseph has proposed to leave the re-factoring to later, and to add the UI to current zoom options dialog.
  • MClassen replied: "Sure, I agree that having some form of control for this is a good first step."
  • Joseph proposed that the longer term goal is to leave this up to the user — whether they want "whole screen" vs. "just in the magnifier window".
  • The question remains: who is doing the 'minimal' UI, and should this still be a blocker?
  • Joseph fixed some more issues on his focus tracker during the past week.
  • But he ran into some unfathomable (for him) problems in calling Atpsi from JavaScript.

  • Joseph posted a call for help to the a11y list.
  • Numerous people replied (API, alieva, mgorse).
  • ACTION: Joseph is preparing a patch for gnome-shell that uses the focus tracker code so he can upload it to the bugzilla.
  • ACTION: Joseph will contact Ale and Mike when that is done so that we can work togther to fix things.

Marketing and Fundraising

  • The FoG a11y counter is US $19,010, only US $990 to go, and it's some days old. Juanjo guesses we'll have our goal around the GUADEC days.
  • Juanjo has no reply yet about OFL FLOSS booth, so he thinks we don't have other associations interested yet. More and more it sounds like a dead idea to him.
  • An article about GNOME accessibility will be published in the Linux foundation page.

When is the next meeting?

  • Next Thursday is GUADEC.
  • The following week we are having the A11yCamp (and could have a meeting "session").

  • If we do that "session", do we also want to have the Thursday meeting?
  • In addition, there is an on-site WebKitGtk three-day training at Igalia.

  • Joanie will definitely not be able to be at a Thursday meeting. She is not sure about Piñeiro.
  • Team consensus seems to be have a meeting on 2 August, but it might be a "light" agenda.

Miscellaneous Time

Action Items


  • Team:
    • Update the 'missing features' page based on the discussion at the #a11y-meeting 19 Jul 2012.
  • Joanie:
    • Draft the final Q2 report for the team and get Piñeiro's review.
    • Add some of these planning details to the A11yCamp page over the weekend.

  • Joseph:
    • Prepare a patch fot gnome-shell that uses the focus tracker code so he can upload it to the bugzilla. Contact Ale and Mike when that is done so that we can work togther to fix things.
  • Piñeiro:
    • send a mail to allan day to talk on UX hackfest about:
      1. sticky keys notifications (API, 18:14:53)
      2. split or not zoom and brightness stuff on gnome-shell
      3. add a mouse cursor size below font size on seeing page

Ongoing / Rolled-Over

  • Team members:
  • Brian:
    • Send a mail summarizing his proposal regarding a testing-centered design.
    • Announce his Mago tests on the gnome-accessibility-devel list, and also create a README and INSTALL.
  • Joanie
    • update the 3.4 team planning pages for 3.6
    • do a full evaluation of the accessibility breakage in Evolution 3.4 and file bugs accordingly.
  • Joseph:
    • Joseph to email Jan and Peter about statistics regarding users with disabilities.
    • Explore the JavaScript Atspi import further to see how much is available.

  • Juanjo:
    • Contact Bryen about the OLF a11y booth.
    • Promote the a11ycamp in the gnome community.
    • Ask the design team about their plan to release a new set symbolic icons for GNOME 3.6.
  • Mike:
    • Add the keyword 'accessibility' to gnome core module bugs he's filed (e.g. evolution and nautilus) which are still open.
    • File a bug regarding GAIL treeview children / children-changed signals, attach a patch, and call for testers.
    • Modify libatspi to fill in the index when possible (ie, when it has the child cached, which it will not for trees with MANAGES_DESCENDANTS for instance)
  • Piñeiro:
    • Send a mail to bastien to know 1. if he has specific features for the bridge 2. if he plans to work on that.
    • Update the AtkObject:children-changed documentation, as this could be also used on ATK implementors.

Accessibility/Minutes/20120719 (last edited 2012-07-21 20:11:43 by JoanmarieDiggs)