Meeting Summary

  • Meeting started by Piñeiro at 16:05:45 CET.
  • Meeting ended at 17:16:09 CET.
  • Participants (Lines Said):
    • Joanie - joanie (113)
    • Piñeiro - API (79)
    • Joseph - clown (49)
    • Juanjo - jjmarin (36)
    • Janina - janina (18)
    • Javi - jhernandez (7)
    • Mike - mgorse (4)
  • Log

W3C IndieUI working group participation


  • Last week, Joseph described a new working group at the W3C — the Independant User Interface group "IndieUI"
  • They are recruiting, and Joseph thought that some should attend from GNOME a11y.
  • Janina is the chair of the group, and is here today.
  • She is (1) offering to answer any questions about participation, and (2) offering to donate a voice teleconference system for these meeting (#a11y-meeting).
  • Meetings are Wednesdays 17:00 UTC for 60 minutes.
  • They will become every other week meetings shortly.
  • The anticipated committment required is 2-4 hours a week to Indie UI.

Possible joint session/BoF/whatever with BugSquad at GUADEC?

  • We have only had one reply so far from the BugSquad regarding Joanie's suggestion of having a joint BoF.

  • That response came from Andre Klapper (BugSquad team lead).

  • Joanie is not sure if this is something we should propose (more questions in a moment).
  • Andre also suggested in a private email that this might be worth expanding to BugSquad and GNOME Developers.

  • Joanie thinks that this idea might be worth doing, if there is sufficient interest.
  • The other question Joanie is wondering is: Should we just have a broad a11y BoF proposed, encourage all teams to show up, and decide what to discuss when people arrive.
  • ACTION: Joanie will write up a proposal for an Accessibility-related BoF encouraging all teams to participate (both through its description, and through team invites).

Marketing and Fundraising

  • The FoG counter hasn't been updated this week again.
  • ACTION: Juanjo will request updating the FoG counter.
  • Karen Sandler published a piece of news in the gnome website about encouraging to participate to reach the goal.
  • Karen also posted in planet gnome.
  • Alan Bell also posted about the campaign in ubuntu planet.
  • And it is Juanjo's understanding that Javi will post as well in planet gnome about this.
  • No news about the collaborative a11y action for OFL. Waiting for reply from Karen and Bryen. They asked for collaboration to other free software projects.
  • The problem with the The FoG counter was fixed by the sysadmin team.


  • Input needed for the Open Help Conference.
  • Numbers still needed for William Jon McCann on prevalence of disability.

  • Joseph has received input from Peter, Jutta (IDRC director), and Julia (IDRC's OT) about prevalence of disability.
  • He is still digesting the info.
  • There are references to documents that contain statiistics. Big documents. He is not sure how useful that is.
  • A common theme from all respondents is "numbers are wrong headed; better to choose quick acces for ease of use".
  • Jutta suggested that the menu should be user defined. E.g., if you are a screen reader user, you put the screen reader prefs that you want in that menu.
  • Also, there was an email on a11y list from Robert Cole requesting connected mouse scroll wheel to magnification.
  • This is another form of quick access, but not from a menu.
  • Joseph is trying to digest all of this and come up with a set of points that get at the heart of the issue.

Accessibility for developers and designers

  • Piñeiro is still looking at dates, so not sure if he will be there, although he would like to be there, at least to update and review items listed by Willie W and Mairin on their posts, as they made a good summary.
  • ACTION: Piñeiro will soon reach a decision about his attending the UX hackfest.

Miscellaneous time

  • Piñeiro added bug to change "toolkit-accessibility" default value to true.
  • Bastien's opinion was that that would have problems with old apps, ie: gtk2 apps will still have big problems with treeviews.
  • So now the implementation of this feature has changed, atk-bridge is being moved to a library.
  • gtk3 apps, gnome-shell and others will load the bridge by default.
  • toolkit-accessibility's default value will be still false, but will only affect old apps.
  • We are working now on testing Bastien's patches

Action Items


  • Joanie:
    • write up a proposal for an Accessibility-related BoF encouraging all teams to participate (both through its description, and through team invites.
  • Juanjo:
    • request updating the FoG counter (again).
  • Piñeiro:
    • reach a decision about his attending the UX hackfest.

Ongoing / Rolled-Over

  • Team members:
  • Brian:
    • Send a mail summarizing his proposal regarding a testing-centered design.
    • Announce his Mago tests on the gnome-accessibility-devel list, and also create a README and INSTALL.
  • Joanie
    • update the 3.4 team planning pages for 3.6
    • do a full evaluation of the accessibility breakage in Evolution 3.4 and file bugs accordingly.
  • Joseph:
    • Joseph to email Jan and Peter about statistics regarding users with disabilities.
    • Explore the JavaScript Atspi import further to see how much is available.

  • Juanjo:
    • Contact Bryen about the OLF a11y booth.
  • Mike:
    • Add the keyword 'accessibility' to gnome core module bugs he's filed (e.g. evolution and nautilus) which are still open.
    • File a bug regarding GAIL treeview children / children-changed signals, attach a patch, and call for testers.
    • Modify libatspi to fill in the index when possible (ie, when it has the child cached, which it will not for trees with MANAGES_DESCENDANTS for instance)
  • Piñeiro:
    • Update the AtkObject:children-changed documentation, as this could be also used on ATK implementors.

Accessibility/Minutes/20120614 (last edited 2012-06-21 01:35:32 by JoanmarieDiggs)