Meeting Summary

  • Meeting started by Joanie at 16:07:04 CET.
  • Meeting ended at 17:10:42 CET.
  • Participants (Lines Said):
    • Joanie - joanie (130)
    • Juanjo - jjmarin (61)
    • Joseph - clown (58)
    • Javi - jhernandez (14)
    • Mike - mgorse (2)
  • Log

Possible joint session/BoF/whatever with BugSquad at GUADEC?

  • Joanie emailed the BugSquad list Tuesday.

  • No response yet, but that was only two days ago and that list is extremely low traffic.
  • But Joanie thinks this is a good idea and is wondering if others will be at GUADEC and interested in participating, should the BugSquad agree this is something worth doing.

  • Juanjo is willing to help out if we have this BoF.
  • LINK:

  • Piñeiro also said he could participate in this.
  • Conclusion: We just need to see if the BugSquad is interested and available.

  • ACTION: Joanie will see about ways to make this BoF remotely-attendable (should the BoF occur).

Marketing and Fundraising

  • It seems that the a11y FoG Campaign is stalled and we don't progress adequately.
  • The FoG banner has been removed suddenly.
  • ACTION: Juanjo will follow up regarding the problem with the banner.
  • ACTION: Juanjo will provide info for the FoG campaign to Javi.
  • ACTION: Juanjo will try to get an update from Bryen or Karen soon about the Ohio Linux Fest.


  • Input is still needed for Shaun's Open Help Conference.
  • Team members can add thoughts on our wiki.

  • Numbers are still needed (possibly) for William Jon McCann regarding prevalence of disability.

  • Joseph emailed Jan (a manager in the IDRC) and Peter Korn regarding stats about a11y. Not much was relayed back. Peter did not respond.
  • Joseph has recently asked the resident occupational therapist about the same issue. She is looking into it, and will respond by the end of week (hopefully).
  • ACTION: Joseph will ping Peter again.

Accessibility for developers and designers

  • Juanjo has written a draft about how to improve accessibility by promoting a11y to developers and designers.

  • Regarding the UX Hackfest, seeing as how it is before GUADEC and at Igalia, we should see if Piñeiro can attend.
  • Joanie might be able to attend the UX Hackfest but it depends on the outcome of the Board elections. (Meetings on the 24th if she is elected.)
  • ACTION: Joanie will talk to Piñeiro to see if he can go to the UX Hackfest.
  • ACTION: Team members should look over Juanjo's draft content.

Miscellaneous Time

  • There is a new working group at the W3C — the Independent UI Events group.
  • The group is looking into adding high level events for web apps that cross cut different platforms (e.g. touch screens).
  • There is also a desire to add "a11y events" at the same time.
  • Currently Joseph is in the group as well as IBM, and Apple.
  • They want to recruit more people. Joseph is thinking another GNOME person or two would be good.

  • The plan is to have a 1 hour teleconference every other week.
  • Plus wiki and email discussion list.
  • Non-members have to apply as "invited experts".
  • ACTION: Joanie will read over the and talk to Piñeiro to see if this is something she can take on.

Action Items


Ongoing / Rolled-Over

  • Team members with knowledge of/access to the requested figures regarding users with disabilities should provide them.
  • Brian:
    • Send a mail summarizing his proposal regarding a testing-centered design.
    • Announce his Mago tests on the gnome-accessibility-devel list, and also create a README and INSTALL.
  • Joanie
    • update the 3.4 team planning pages for 3.6
    • do a full evaluation of the accessibility breakage in Evolution 3.4 and file bugs accordingly.
  • Joseph:
    • Joseph to email Jan and Peter about statistics regarding users with disabilities.
    • Explore the JavaScript Atspi import further to see how much is available.

  • Juanjo:
    • Contact Bryen about the OLF a11y booth.
  • Mike:
    • Add the keyword 'accessibility' to gnome core module bugs he's filed (e.g. evolution and nautilus) which are still open.
    • File a bug regarding GAIL treeview children / children-changed signals, attach a patch, and call for testers.
    • Modify libatspi to fill in the index when possible (ie, when it has the child cached, which it will not for trees with MANAGES_DESCENDANTS for instance)
  • Piñeiro:
    • Update the AtkObject:children-changed documentation, as this could be also used on ATK implementors.

Accessibility/Minutes/20120607 (last edited 2012-06-13 19:21:53 by JoanmarieDiggs)