Meeting Summary

  • Meeting started by joanie at 16:07:07 CET.
  • Meeting ended at 16:34:05 CET.
  • Participants (Lines Said):
    • Joanie - joanie (67)
    • Ale - aleiva (6)
    • Fer - aleiva (6)
    • Mike - mgorse (6)
    • Heidi - heidi (1)
  • Log

GNOME 3.6 - pyatspi2 deprecation?

  • We can now use at-spi2 via gobject introspection.
  • It seems to Joanie that there is not, therefore, a need to also maintain pyatspi2.
  • Joanie is going to try migrating Orca to at-spi2 via introspection.
  • What do people think about deprecating pyatspi2, giving people a year (tops) to convert, and then stop maintaining it?
  • Mike will need to test whether interfaces still cause problems in terms of function names conflicting (ie, *_get_attributes functions) and, if so, if something can be done about it.
  • No one seems to be opposed to the tentative deprecation of pyatspi2.
  • Next steps: Wait for Mike to look into the potential issue he raised.
  • Mike believes he will have an preliminary answer by next meeting, so we will table this discussion for one week.

GNOME 3.6 - Python 3

  • GNOME seems to want us to migrate to Python 3 (though it's not an official GnomeGoal yet).

  • Canonical is targetting their next stable release as only Python 3 -- at least in terms of the live media -- as far as Joanie understands it.

  • Therefore, we kinda sorta need to do this.
  • Mike has begun (and might be finished??) with the work in pyatspi.
  • Joanie has been working on this for Orca.
  • Liblouis has a prelimary version committed.
  • Speechd has a patch attached to a bug.
  • brlapi's project lead thinks he can do this soon.
  • Our team will target GNOME 3.6 for being migrated to Python 3.

Marketing and Fundraising

  • Juanjo could not make it to today's meeting and has no updates.


Miscellaneous Time

  • (nothing entered into the minutes)

Action Items


  • None

Ongoing / Rolled-Over

  • Team members with knowledge of/access to the requested figures regarding users with disabilities should provide them.
  • Brian:
    • Send a mail summarizing his proposal regarding a testing-centered design.
    • Announce his Mago tests on the gnome-accessibility-devel list, and also create a README and INSTALL.
  • Joanie
    • update the 3.4 team planning pages for 3.6
    • do a full evaluation of the accessibility breakage in Evolution 3.4 and file bugs accordingly.
  • Joseph:
    • Joseph to email Jan and Peter about statistics regarding users with disabilities.
    • Explore the JavaScript Atspi import further to see how much is available.

  • Juanjo:
    • Contact Bryen about the OLF a11y booth.
  • Mike:
    • Add the keyword 'accessibility' to gnome core module bugs he's filed (e.g. evolution and nautilus) which are still open.
    • File a bug regarding GAIL treeview children / children-changed signals, attach a patch, and call for testers.
    • Modify libatspi to fill in the index when possible (ie, when it has the child cached, which it will not for trees with MANAGES_DESCENDANTS for instance)
  • PiƱeiro:
    • Update the AtkObject:children-changed documentation, as this could be also used on ATK implementors.

Accessibility/Minutes/20120524 (last edited 2012-05-31 03:29:46 by JoanmarieDiggs)