- Meeting started by Joanie at 15:08:12 UTC.
- Meeting ended at 15:51:33 UTC.
- Participants (Lines Said):
- Joanie - joanie (121)
- Joseph - clown (25)
- Juanjo - jjmarin (24)
- Ale - aleiva (11)
- Mike - mgorse (11)
Outreach Program for Women
Marina a while back added our team to the list of ongoing mentors.
Marina also has a specific page on info for mentors in which she specifically addresses the case of what to do when you don't have availability.
Joanie's personal translation of these documents is that even when we are busy, we are supposed to remain on the mentor list.
- We are now starting to hear from would-be Outreach Program interns.
- Joanie would like to know which team members can serve as mentors and have a requisite "pre-participation contribution" to offer.
- Joanie asked the team members present if they have the time to serve as mentors and if so if they have a proposed initial contribution and a proposed project task.
- Joanie herself feels that she does not have the time and is concerned that students with no knowledge about accessibility will be hard to place in the Orca project.
- Ale suggested that gnome a11y group don't have enough time to achieve their goals neither to mentor students with no knowledge.
- Juanjo agrees we need more people to be able to mentoring and doing our stuff.
- Mike mentioned unit tests for AT-SPI might be a good project, but we would need to come up with a proposed initial contribution.
- Joseph feels that he doesn't have a lot of time either. Since this is new to him, he wants to mull it over some more, especially in terms of a project.
- Conclusion: Based on this discussion, we might be able to offer something in the area of AT-SPI unit tests and maybe magnification. BUT we do not yet know for sure.
- ACTION: Joseph and Mike will each give this some careful consideration and get back to the team.
GNOME 3.4 Updates
- Code freeze is the 19th.
- Joanie reported that she and Piñeiro have been working on Orca + gnome-shell:
- Piñeiro has done a number of patches, some have been committed; others are being reviewed by Dan W. (Yay!)
- Joanie hopes gnome-shell + Orca will actually work fairly nicely for 3.4 (also yay!)
- Joseph has been diagnosing the problem with integrating his Clutter shader effects into GNOME Shell:
- Discovered that the bug is actually in Clutter -- any shader applied to an actor makes it semi-transparent, even when you really don't want it to be transparent at all.
- He added that he somehow missed a comment on the bugzilla by Ebassi that said as much.
- Now he is trying to find a work around, although maybe needs "to become a cogl (open gl) expert..."
- Ale reported that he finally has a dev environment and a debugging vte thing. He's trying to run faster to have it managed before code freeze deadline.
- Mike reported that some AT-SPI bugs have been fixed recently. LDTP still has some issues that might not be delt with, and apps running as the super-user reportedly aren't accessible (although it works for him when he tests). Mike says he needs to investigate that.
- Juanjo reported that in gnome-themes-standard Cosimo Cecchi rewrote the high contrast theme, making it as decent as the GTK2 theme. Cosimo mostly restored it to a good working state and made sure it works with the new widgets we have (e.g. inline toolbars in the control center, the new spinbuttons, ...)
Marketing and Fundraising
- We've got around US $1400 more in the a11y FoG campaign in the last two weeks.
- Juanjo has the legal permission for another (short) testimonial. It will probably go to the FoG page.
- The patches don't apply to the latest master code. Joseph is considering trying to modify them so they work, but hasn't found a spare moment so far and thinks perhaps it's better if someone from the accerciser developers took a look.
- Joseph and Mike:
- will each give participating in the Women's Outreach Program some careful consideration and get back to the team.
Ongoing / Rolled-Over
- Send a mail summarizing his proposal regarding a testing-centered design.
- Announce his Mago tests on the gnome-accessibility-devel list, and also create a README and INSTALL.
- along with Piñeiro, ask other a11y team people about their plans for GUADEC
- Test a11y on wxwidgets
- File a bug regarding GAIL treeview children / children-changed signals, attach a patch, and call for testers.
- Modify libatspi to fill in the index when possible (ie, when it has the child cached, which it will not for trees with MANAGES_DESCENDANTS for instance)
- research for the schedule, to check if it make senses to have a session during GUADEC, or we need to organize something pre-post GUADEC
- along with joanie, ask other a11y team people about their plans for GUADEC
Update the AtkObject:children-changed documentation, as this could be also used on ATK implementors.