Meeting Summary

  • Meeting started by Joanie at 15:08:12 UTC.
  • Meeting ended at 15:51:33 UTC.
  • Participants (Lines Said):
    • Joanie - joanie (121)
    • Joseph - clown (25)
    • Juanjo - jjmarin (24)
    • Ale - aleiva (11)
    • Mike - mgorse (11)
  • Log

Outreach Program for Women

  • Marina a while back added our team to the list of ongoing mentors.

  • Marina also has a specific page on info for mentors in which she specifically addresses the case of what to do when you don't have availability.

  • Joanie's personal translation of these documents is that even when we are busy, we are supposed to remain on the mentor list. ;)

  • We are now starting to hear from would-be Outreach Program interns.
  • Joanie would like to know which team members can serve as mentors and have a requisite "pre-participation contribution" to offer.
  • Joanie asked the team members present if they have the time to serve as mentors and if so if they have a proposed initial contribution and a proposed project task.
  • Joanie herself feels that she does not have the time and is concerned that students with no knowledge about accessibility will be hard to place in the Orca project.
  • Ale suggested that gnome a11y group don't have enough time to achieve their goals neither to mentor students with no knowledge.
  • Juanjo agrees we need more people to be able to mentoring and doing our stuff.
  • Mike mentioned unit tests for AT-SPI might be a good project, but we would need to come up with a proposed initial contribution.
  • Joseph feels that he doesn't have a lot of time either. Since this is new to him, he wants to mull it over some more, especially in terms of a project.
  • Conclusion: Based on this discussion, we might be able to offer something in the area of AT-SPI unit tests and maybe magnification. BUT we do not yet know for sure.
  • ACTION: Joseph and Mike will each give this some careful consideration and get back to the team.

GNOME 3.4 Updates

  • Code freeze is the 19th.
  • Joanie reported that she and Piñeiro have been working on Orca + gnome-shell:
    • Piñeiro has done a number of patches, some have been committed; others are being reviewed by Dan W. (Yay!)
    • Joanie hopes gnome-shell + Orca will actually work fairly nicely for 3.4 (also yay!)
  • Joseph has been diagnosing the problem with integrating his Clutter shader effects into GNOME Shell:
    • Discovered that the bug is actually in Clutter -- any shader applied to an actor makes it semi-transparent, even when you really don't want it to be transparent at all.
    • He added that he somehow missed a comment on the bugzilla by Ebassi that said as much.
    • Now he is trying to find a work around, although maybe needs "to become a cogl (open gl) expert..."
  • Ale reported that he finally has a dev environment and a debugging vte thing. He's trying to run faster to have it managed before code freeze deadline.
  • Mike reported that some AT-SPI bugs have been fixed recently. LDTP still has some issues that might not be delt with, and apps running as the super-user reportedly aren't accessible (although it works for him when he tests). Mike says he needs to investigate that.
  • Juanjo reported that in gnome-themes-standard Cosimo Cecchi rewrote the high contrast theme, making it as decent as the GTK2 theme. Cosimo mostly restored it to a good working state and made sure it works with the new widgets we have (e.g. inline toolbars in the control center, the new spinbuttons, ...)

Marketing and Fundraising

  • We've got around US $1400 more in the a11y FoG campaign in the last two weeks.
  • Juanjo has the legal permission for another (short) testimonial. It will probably go to the FoG page.

Miscellaneous time

  • Joseph did the barest minimum review of two of Aline's patches for Accerciser (596758 and 596757).

  • The patches don't apply to the latest master code. Joseph is considering trying to modify them so they work, but hasn't found a spare moment so far and thinks perhaps it's better if someone from the accerciser developers took a look.

Action Items


  • Joseph and Mike:
    • will each give participating in the Women's Outreach Program some careful consideration and get back to the team.

Ongoing / Rolled-Over

  • Brian:
    • Send a mail summarizing his proposal regarding a testing-centered design.
    • Announce his Mago tests on the gnome-accessibility-devel list, and also create a README and INSTALL.
  • Joanie:
    • along with Piñeiro, ask other a11y team people about their plans for GUADEC
  • Joseph:
    • Explore the JavaScript Atspi import further to see how much is available.

  • Juanjo:
    • Test a11y on wxwidgets
  • Mike:
    • File a bug regarding GAIL treeview children / children-changed signals, attach a patch, and call for testers.
    • Modify libatspi to fill in the index when possible (ie, when it has the child cached, which it will not for trees with MANAGES_DESCENDANTS for instance)
  • Piñeiro:
    • research for the schedule, to check if it make senses to have a session during GUADEC, or we need to organize something pre-post GUADEC
    • along with joanie, ask other a11y team people about their plans for GUADEC
    • Update the AtkObject:children-changed documentation, as this could be also used on ATK implementors.

Accessibility/Minutes/20120301 (last edited 2012-03-08 04:06:20 by JoanmarieDiggs)