Meeting Summary

  • Meeting started by joanie at 14:35:37 UTC.
  • Meeting ended at 15:33:16 UTC.
  • Participants (Lines Said):
    • Joanie - joanie (107)
    • Joseph - clown (41)
    • Ale - aleiva (29)
    • Juanjo - jjmarin (26)
    • Piñeiro - API_afk (22)
    • Mike - mgorse (11)
    • Brian - bnitz (10)
    • Penelope - Pendulum (1)
  • Log

Hackfest Planning

  • We have talked about having another hackfest -- in particular a follow-up ATK/AT-SPI hackfest.
  • Benjamin suggested that we might be able to attach it at or around the WebKitGtk hackfest since a number of us plan to be at both.

  • Piñeiro has checked with the WebKitGtk hackfest planners. Their proposed hackfest is 29 Nov - 5 Dec.

  • Piñeiro has also told Joanie that doing it before is problematic due to conflicts with other events and doing it after conflicts with Spanish holidays.
  • Thus the proposal is this: Are those people interested in the Atk/AT-SPI hackfest able to come to Spain 29 Nov - 5 December? If so, we'll check with the WebKitGtk folks about coordinating this.

  • ACTION: Joanie will check with Piñeiro to see if remote attending of the proposed ATK/AT-SPI hackfest is a possibility.
  • Ale needs to check about his availability. And we need to be sure Frederik can attend.

Marketing and Fundraising

  • The Marketing team has been focused in the 3.2 release.
  • GNOME A11y has recieved some nice words of praised from Juan Conde, Chief Free Softaware Officer of the Junta de Andalucía, in the Press Notes
  • Links:
  • The Marketing Team will probably have regular meetings and Juanjo hopes to get some information about fundaraising campaign in these meetings to bring here.
  • Joanie completely forgot about her action item to ping people on the mailing list about CSUN call for papers ending 30 Sept. She suspects, however, there will be an extension. So we should continue thinking about what we might be able and/or should present about GNOME at CSUN.

GNOME 3.4 Planning

  • Adding lightness inversion, brightness, and contrast effects to Clutter (for use in GNOME Shell Mag):
    • Joseph and his reviewer, E. Bassi, have had a fruitful back and forth on how to structure the patch.
    • There was an initial agreement to push it to Clutter master, but subsequently, there were questions about the equations used for brightness and contrast calculations (note: not inversion) and about the architecture (issues about effeciency within open gl).
    • Joseph wrote a reply to these questions — see

    • Joseph seeks advice on what, if anything, if wrong with brightness and contrast equations he used.
    • Joanie thinks Joseph deserves a medal for all of his work and looks forward to having these features in place.
  • DOTS
    • Joanie is interested in seeing if we can get DOTS to be an official app.
    • The present problem seems to be the need to port to introspection. Joanie is willing to do this port.
    • ACTION: Joanie will add the DOTS introspection porting to her to-do list.
    • ACTION: Joanie will try to find Fer and see if he wants a co-maintainer or two.
  • Dasher
    • Joanie started looking at Dasher, which used to be an official GNOME AT/module/app to see what would be required to get it re-blessed.
    • Joanie discovered that the docs are uber out-of-date.
    • Joanie learned from Penelope in #a11y that using it for direct input into another app requires launching from the command line.
    • Mike indicated that Porting from cspi to libatspi should be fairly straight-forward, if we need to do that.
    • ACTION: Joanie will keep investigating the present state of Dasher and follow up with Patrick.

Miscellaneous Time

  • Juanjo has managed to get wxWidgets compiled in opensuse and fedora and now plans to test the demos with accersiser.
  • Ale thinks it makes sense to implement a c plus plus binding of libatspi using mm gnome framework.
  • Piñeiro is not against such an implementation, but questions if it would be worth the effort.
  • Piñeiro added that Murray Cumming would be the person to ask. Ale indicated he would do so.

Action Items


  • Joanie:
    • Check with Piñeiro to see if remote attending of the proposed ATK/AT-SPI hackfest is a possibility.
    • Add the DOTS introspection porting to her to-do list.
    • Try to find Fer and see if he wants a co-maintainer or two for DOTS.
    • Keep investigating the present state of Dasher and follow up with Patrick.

Ongoing / Rolled-Over

  • Team:
    • If you want something funded as part of the proposed FoG campaign for a11y, get your proposals to Juanjo.
    • Provide information to Juanjo about assistive/alternative hardware types which GNOME supports.
    • Comment on the mailing list thread with their thoughts on the Collection interface(s)
  • Brian:
    • Send a mail summarizing his proposal regarding a testing-centered design.
    • Announce his Mago tests on the gnome-accessibility-devel list, and also create a README and INSTALL.
  • Joanie:
    • Provide Juanjo with information on refreshable braille displays.
  • Joseph:
    • Explore the JavaScript Atspi import further to see how much is available.

  • Juanjo:
    • Start planning the a11y FoG campaign

    • Investigate wxWidgets' internals and how it uses Gtk+
  • Mike:
    • File a bug regarding GAIL treeview children / children-changed signals, attach a patch, and call for testers.
    • Modify libatspi to fill in the index when possible (ie, when it has the child cached, which it will not for trees with MANAGES_DESCENDANTS for instance)
  • Piñeiro:
    • Update the AtkObject:children-changed documentation, as this could be also used on ATK implementors

Accessibility/Minutes/20110929 (last edited 2011-10-08 14:47:17 by JoanmarieDiggs)