Meeting Summary

  • Meeting started by API at 14:36:18 UTC.
  • Meeting ended at 15:48:03 UTC.
  • Participants (Lines Said):
    • Piñeiro - API (130)
    • Joanie - joanie (65)
    • Juanjo - jjmarin (59)
    • Aline - alibezz (23)
    • Joseph - clown (20)
    • Mike - mgorse (17)
    • Frederik - fregl (7)
    • Javi - jhernandez|eee (6)
    • Penelope - Pendulum (5)
    • Andre - andre_ (3)
  • Log

  • When 3.1.90 goes out, there will be two versions of pygobject: 2.28.6 will *not* use introspection. 2.90.x *will* use introspection. And the two versions can co-exist.
  • Related with this change, any application which attempts to import pyatspi cannot import gtk via static bindings.
  • This doesn't impact most applications, but it definitely impacts Orca and Accerciser because they need to import both pyatspi and gtk.
  • Joanie made it an agenda item just in case there are others impacted by this change whom she forgot about.
  • Joanie and Javi are actively working on their introspection ports now and plan to be done for 3.2.
  • The port to gobject-introspection is blocked by a few segfaults in pygobject from master.
  • John Palmieri and Mike are working on providing patches for these bugs.

Marketing and Fundraising

Friends of GNOME (FoG) Campaign for Accessibility

  • This is now a possibility under consideration.
  • Juanjo has begun coordinating with the marketing team.
  • In response, Karen Sandler asked for end-oriented, specific goals for an accessibility FoG campaign.
  • Juanjo mentioned hackfests, CSUN and other conferences.
  • Joanie suggested that this opportunity should support development as well.
  • The creation of a brochure for fundraising was also suggested to us.

3.2 Release Notes

  • André Klapper asked for a11y achievements to be included in the 3.2 release notes.
  • ACTION: Team members should add items they'd like included in the GNOME release notes to our team's draft page.

  • ACTION: Juanjo will then draft a summary for the GNOME release notes.
  • ACTION: Joanie will help with proofreading, etc. of the release notes summary.

List of a11y devices compatibles with GNOME

  • This has been suggested/requested as part of the creation of a marketing brochure.
  • ACTION: Team members who know about particular hardware types should get this information to Juanjo.
  • ACTION: Joanie will generate content about braille displays for Juanjo.

Libatspi Documentation

  • The idea of documenting shared parts of core a11y libs in one single place, for consistency, was discussed.
  • The consensus is that it's hard to think about it in a short term, because most a11y libs are not synced as they should ideally be.
  • Also, the libatspi documentation was updated with some of Aline's patches.

Miscellaneous Time

  • The CSUN call for proposals officially came out a few hours ago. Anyone wishing to present a paper at CSUN should start drafting. ;-)

  • Mike implemented org.a11y.Status.IsEnabled into the bus launcher. Currently it can be read but not written. Writing is still TODO.

  • Mike is Frederik's hero.

Action Items


  • Team:
    • Add items they'd like included in the GNOME release notes to our team's draft page.

    • Provide information to Juanjo about assistive/alternative hardware types which GNOME supports.
  • Juanjo:
    • Draft a summary of the release notes after the team has filled in the points they would like to see covered.
  • Joanie:
    • Help Juanjo with the proofreading of the release notes.
    • Provide Juanjo with information on refreshable braille displays.

Ongoing / Rolled-Over

  • Team:
    • Comment on the mailing list thread with their thoughts on the Collection interface(s)
    • Check how Mike's change improves desktop performance (i.e. with a11y on and no AT listening).
  • Ale:
    • Look for the python-gobject testing-distro bug and talk with jhernandez to try to fix it and create a new spin.
  • Brian:
    • Send a mail summarizing his proposal regarding a testing-centered design.
    • Announce his Mago tests on the gnome-accessibility-devel list, and also create a README and INSTALL.
  • Javi:
    • Spin a new (and possibly the last accessibility-specific) spin of the testing distro once he has the new tarball from Joanie and any other required changes requested by our team.
  • Joseph:
    • Explore the JavaScript Atspi import further to see how much is available.

  • Juanjo:
    • Investigate wxWidgets' internals and how it uses Gtk+
  • Mike:
    • File a bug regarding GAIL treeview children / children-changed signals, attach a patch, and call for testers.
    • Modify libatspi to fill in the index when possible (ie, when it has the child cached, which it will not for trees with MANAGES_DESCENDANTS for instance)
  • Piñeiro:
    • Update the AtkObject:children-changed documentation, as this could be also used on ATK implementors

Accessibility/Minutes/20110825 (last edited 2011-08-31 15:55:55 by JoanmarieDiggs)