Meeting Summary

  • Meeting started by Joanie at 14:36:13 UTC.
  • Meeting ended at 15:43:28 UTC.
  • Participants (Lines Said):
    • Piñeiro - API (124)
    • Joanie - joanie (93)
    • Juanjo - jjmarin (66)
    • Javi - jhernandez (49)
    • Joseph - clown (36)
    • Heidi - heidi (11)
    • Aline - alibezz (4)
    • Mike - mgorse (3)
  • Log

evicam inclusion into the GNOME a11y stack

  • eViacam is a mouse replacement software that moves the pointer as you move your head. The only additional hardware required is a webcam.

  • Juanjo thinks it is a good piece of software and that we should consider adding it to GNOME. Joanie agrees. Pineiro thinks it makes sense to consider it, if we finally conclude that mousetrap is dead -- he believes the opengazer project is dead.
  • Juanjo mentioned that the problem is that it is written with wxWidgets.
  • Piñeiro stated that a hard dependency on wxWidgets is a "no-no," but later suggested that if wxWidgets is using Gtk on Linux as a backend, probably we can convince GNOME to accept that external dependency.
  • Next steps:
    1. Investigate wxWidgets' internals and how it uses Gtk+
    2. See if we can make eviacam more "GNOME-like" in appearance
    3. If so, does that mean wxWidgets could be an acceptable dependency?
  • Juanjo will investigate wxWidgets' internals and how it uses Gtk+

Nuke at-spi/at-spi2 coexistence?

  • The team agrees this should be done.
  • Mike will remove the relocate checks from AT-SPI2.

Testing Distro - Plans and Status?

  • Javi is having lot of problems in using opensuse 11.4 as our base distro. He is rebuilding a few packages.
  • The process is slow, since he's using the opensuse build service for packaging the rpms and this service has recently been down quite a bit.
  • Javi intends to finish this last spin and then focus on the new, global testing distro spins.


  • Simon is a really interesting tool for voice recognition (to replace mouse- and keyboard-based control; there is currently not dictation support).
  • We need to investigate if and how it can be integrated within GNOME (e.g. the Qt dependency concerns us).
  • We can talk with the Simon developer at the Desktop Summit.
  • Javi asked about the status of GNOME Voice Control. The consensus (and this mailing list response from the g-v-c developer) is that from our/GNOME's purposes, it is dead.

Action Items


  • Juanjo will investigate wxWidgets' internals and how it uses Gtk+
  • Mike will remove the relocate checks from AT-SPI2

Ongoing / Rolled-Over

  • Team:
    • Check how Mike's change improves desktop performance (i.e. with a11y on and no AT listening).
  • Ale:
    • Look for the python-gobject testing-distro bug and talk with jhernandez to try to fix it and create a new spin.
  • Brian:
    • Send a mail summarizing his proposal regarding a testing-centered design.
    • Announce his Mago tests on the gnome-accessibility-devel list, and also create a README and INSTALL.
  • Javi:
    • Spin a new (and possibly the last accessibility-specific) spin of the testing distro once he has the new tarball from Joanie and any other required changes requested by our team.
  • Joanie:
    • Investigate what other resources we have/can draw upon to achieve the desktop performance testing work.
  • Joseph:
    • Explore the JavaScript Atspi import further to see how much is available.

  • Mike:
    • File a bug regarding GAIL treeview children / children-changed signals, attach a patch, and call for testers.

Accessibility/Minutes/20110728 (last edited 2011-08-03 19:33:53 by JoanmarieDiggs)