- Meeting started by Joanie at 14:36:33 UTC.
- Meeting ended at 15:44:33 UTC.
- Participants (Lines Said):
- Joanie - joanie (137)
- Joseph - clown (33)
- Brian - bnitz (32)
- Mike - mgorse (25)
- Aline - alibezz (25)
- Ale - aleiva (17)
- Javi - jhernandez (15)
- Frederik - fregl (11)
- Sebastien - |Lupin| (10)
Luke - TheMuso (4)
- Peter - korn (1)
Call For Volunteers
Quantifying improvement from Mike's change to only emit events if an AT is listening
- Mike has made the changes needed to only emit events if an AT is listening.
- This change might in theory solve much of the broader community's concerns about enabling AT support by default due to performance problems.
- It would be ideal if someone could verify this in some proven, respectable, convincing, with numbersy sort of way.
Brian asked about ShellPerfLog (see bug 618189).
- Other discussion followed (see full log).
- Valgrind might be a good solution. The tool for gnome-shell from bug 618189 might as well. Lastly, just timestamping typical activities.
- No one at the meeting could volunteer their time for these tasks.
- ACTION: Joanie will investigate what other resources we have/can draw upon to achieve this work.
Writing tests for the Gail into Gtk merge
- The Gail to Gtk integration is moving along pretty rapidly and there is talk about integrating the 'a11y' gtk branch into master soon.
- We need more tests written, and we need the output of the existing tests verified.
- Joanie has looked through the existing tests and is starting to write new ones. But other help would be greatly appreciated.
Best practices guide for implementing accessible objects
- Joanie and Frederik are going to resume working on this task from the ATK hackfest.
- The Gail into Gtk work is including some "best practices" style changes that are not documented.
- We really need to get a "best practices" guide on the object hierarchy, roles, properties, and such out.
Joanie and Frederik would not mind volunteers on this front.
GAIL treeview children / children-changed signals with no child argument
- Currently, atk-bridge calls atk_object_ref_accessible_child for a children-changed event sent without a child.
- This may be a significant performance hit, and may be better to remove it. Will probably mainly affect gail trees, but need to test that it doesn't affect other things as well.
- ACTION: mgorse will file a bug to remove the check, attach a patch, and call for testers.
Action item updates
- At this moment, Javi is syncing and rebuilding with latest versions. He hopes to get some time for building the testing distro spin this weekend or next week.
Aline gave an interview for Og Macial about her involvement with GNOME and specially with Accerciser. It's going to be online in a month or so here http://www.castalio.info/
- Joanie will investigate what other resources we have/can draw upon to achieve the desktop performance testing work.
- Mike will file a bug regarding GAIL treeview children / children-changed signals, attach a patch, and call for testers.
Ongoing / Rolled-Over
- Check how Mike's change improves desktop performance (i.e. with a11y on and no AT listening).
- Send a mail summarizing his proposal regarding a testing-centered design.
- Announce his Mago tests on the gnome-accessibility-devel list, and also create a README and INSTALL.
- Spin a new (and possibly the last accessibility-specific) spin of the testing distro once he has the new tarball from Joanie and any other required changes requested by our team.
- Review the documentation page.