Minutes for Accessibility IRC Meeting of December 9th, 2010

  • When: Thursday, December 9th, 07:00 UTC
  • Where: irc.gnome.org, #a11y

Meeting Log


  1. Roadmap
  2. Status of the migration to PyGObject: GNOME Goal, 626218

  3. Updating the GNOME Desktop Accessibility Guide

    • Missing ATs
    • Moving to Mallard
  4. GNOME 3.0 updates
  5. Reminders:
  6. Others
    • Unity nux toolkit
    • Google Code-in (hoping Bryen to be there)
    • Thoughts on "Do we need more hackfests?"

Topics Discussed


  • Joanie has not yet completed the "unfunded"/"cost" document.
  • Brian Cameron posted the Board minutes from 11 Nov (which Joanie attended). This prompted Dave Neary to ask for both the Orca team roadmap and the A11y team roadmap. Thus the Board has now seen it.
  • Joanie mentioned that we still need to incorporate Caribou on the Roadmap. Eitan was not present at this meeting to respond.



  • Joanie pointed out that our documentation needs to be updated, converted to Mallard, and augmented. She is also concerned that what she's done in this area for Orca will not mesh well with the rest of the GNOME Desktop Accessibility Guide.
  • Shaun suggested that he's considering doing away with a separate a11y guide and including the information about basic a11y features directly in the main desktop help.
  • Joanie raised the question about the implications for all of the a11y modules and their detailed help.
  • Shaun suggested that these might make more sense as separate guides whose content can be included as appropriate through Mallard. He also says he has Documentation Team members who can deal with organizing our content if we can get him the content.
  • Mike asked if anyone would be writing documentation about Atk and volunteered to work on writing a tutorial. He will follow up on this later with Shaun.
  • Shaun stated that at the moment, documentation is not subject to the same freezes as GNOME modules.
  • Steve asked about doing a doc session at FOSDEM. Joanie thinks this would not be a formal session, but might be a good time to informally set aside some time to write documentation.


  • Joanie will finish the Orca docs and create a branch so that Shaun can review them.
  • We need to ping all other module maintainers and encourage them to update their documentation. It can be written in whatever format as Shaun's team can do the work to convert it to Mallard.
  • Shaun will review our existing documentation and modules and get in touch with us via the a11y list.
  • We should consider a get-together/doc writing session at FOSDEM (unofficial, to get work done)


Accessibility/Minutes/20101209 (last edited 2010-12-16 02:37:30 by JoanmarieDiggs)