Minutes for Accessibility IRC Meeting of October 21th, 2010

  • When: Thursday, October 21th, 15:00 UTC
  • Where: irc.gnome.org, #a11y

Meeting Log

  • 20101021_log.txt

  • Note: the meeting log also includes some previous conversation related Dasher on the IRC. This is because the first item of the meeting was related to this conversation.

Topics Discussed



  • Penelope Stowe shared his concerns about Dasher status towards GNOME 3.0
  • Although it is included on the Accessibility/GNOME3 item, it requires a update, and in the same way, she thinks that miss at-spi2 support is really important.
  • Current Accessibility/GNOME3 seems to suggest that the missing functionality is minor
  • She will contact Patrick Welche in order to get a update and confirm the current text.

Current state

  • During the AEGIS GNOME 3.0 revision several "need to contact maintainers" were written
  • Gently reminder to the maintainers to update the status, and also the need to do it explicitly.
  • Mike Gorse and Joseph updated their sections.

GNOME Shell and Orca integration

  • Alejandro Piñeiro asks Joseph if he is aware about the last mails and conversation related to integrate GNOME Shell and Orca
  • Summary
    • They didn't suggest to move all orca code to GS
    • They just want a tighter integration, so transparently, the user will have a screen reader feature, not starting a program
    • Some of the UI settings would be moved to GS
  • This can affect the current work related to the shared DBUS magnifier API
  • Joanie will coordinate the details with Joseph
  • GS developers will be on Boston Summit, they want to talk about this with Orca developers


  • Dan Winship updated his keyboard navigation patches
  • Owen Taylor is reviewing it
  • Alejandro Piñeiro is doing a a11y POV check, like testing them with orca, and providing some feedback and questions


Caribou feedback

  • Heidi is waiting for the Caribou feedback.
  • Alejandro Piñeiro points that some questions, like GOK deprecation, should be easy to answer.
  • Heidi mentions that one of the basic questions are related the top needs for keyboards
  • Joanie mentioned that to get feedback and requisites to this project is hard for the gnome accessibility community
  • Blidness is easier because we have a huge, active Orca community and it's Joanie DayJob field

  • Joanie suggests that as we need to write a roadmap, we should include to add a study of some sort
  • Penelope Stowe also volunteer to help
  • Finally Alejandro Piñeiro suggests Heidi to take a look to http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/ScreenKeyboard, and check if the current Caribou work would be hepful here

  • Joanmarie suggest Heide to take a look http://ma.easterseals.com/site/PageServer?pagename=MADR_DLRC

Q3 Quarterly reports


  • Alejandro Piñeiro thinks that the question "Do we need more hackfests?" should be somewhat digested on the mailing list before debate it on the weekly meeting.
  • Joanie mentions that in the meantime, hackfest for hackfest's sake is silly, and that those should be organized for a reason.


  • Joanie suggest write a "AEGIS post mortem", a summary of things that didn't go as expected, in order to fix them on the next ocasion
  • Joanie volunteers to start this work


Google code-in

Ubuntu Developer Summit

Testing framework feedback

  • Brian ask for some suggestions on test reporting
  • Alejandro Piñeiro asks if he asked that outside the hackfest, as not all the community were there
  • No
  • Alejandro Piñeiro suggests Brian to send a mail and create a wiki page, like Heidi

Agenda for the next meeting

  1. Unity and GNOME 3.0
  2. Bastien Nocera mail about loading gtk modules
  3. GNOME 3.0 updates
  4. Roadmap
  5. Thoughts on "Do we need more hackfests?"
  6. Reminders:
    • Did you update your section(s) of the GNOME 3.0 page?

    • Do you have feedback for Heidi and her students regarding Caribou Requirements?

    • Q3 status reports were due to Bryen 18 October. Please add your report to our wiki so that Bryen can write and submit a summary for inclusion in the full GNOME Foundation Q3 report.

  7. Your topic here
  8. Your topic here

Accessibility/Minutes/20101021 (last edited 2010-10-27 16:57:22 by AlejandroPiñeiro)