Minutes for Accessibility IRC Meeting of September 9th, 2010

  • When: Thursday, September 9th, 15:00 UTC
  • Where: irc.gnome.org, #a11y

Meeting Log

Topics Discussed

Weekly Meetings and Format (15:07 - 15:23)

  • Alejandro Piñeiro emailed the list. From the feedback that was received:
    • Weekly meetings should continue.
    • The time "flip-flop" confuses some people.
    • Eitan had raised a question about the timetable.
  • Alternatives discussed for dealing with the time "flip-flop":
    • Use Google calendar or a similar option (e.g. the ics for the release schedule)
    • Add the information to live.gnome.org.
    • Create templates for the rest of the meetings on live.gnome.org.
    • Use Doodle (or a similar tool) to survey people to find a single time which works for everyone.
    • Alejandro Piñeiro stated that we should move this topic to the list for further comment.
  • Regarding the timetable:
    • Alejandro Piñeiro pointed out that in the previous meeting we concluded it wasn't worth finding a new time.
    • Joanie doesn't think there are other times we could try which would solve the problem.
    • Alejandro Piñeiro suggested we say this in response to Eitan's question on the list.
  • Regarding agenda items:
    • Alejandro Piñeiro and Joanie would prefer to have multiple proposed topics and discard some, rather than no proposed topics.
    • Anyone from the a11y team should feel free to propose agenda items.
    • Heidi stated that she had not done so because she didn't know what was acceptable.
    • Conclusion: Anyone on the team should feel free to add whatever they want. What all gets included will be based primarily on time.

AEGIS Update (15:24 - 15:46)

  • Alejandro Piñeiro reported that:
    • The travel committee is notifying people about the decision.
    • Some people (Li Yuan and Steve Lee) have stated they would not be able to attend after all.
    • We will book the hotel and then the Foundation will pay for it.
  • Peter stated that:
    • People planning to attend the AEGIS conference (separate from the hackfest) need to register.
    • A series of posters on each GNOME AT and each distro-specific solution would be desirable.
    • We should make hotel reservations ASAP. According to the conference hotel page, the rates for Tryp Macarena are: 76EUR for a single room, 85 EUR for a double.

    • It should not be necessary to register for the conference if you might be at the booth.
  • Conclusions:
    • Joseph will start a poster section on the wiki.
    • Alejandro Piñeiro will ask people via the list to move themselves from the "Hope to Attend" table on the wiki to the "Confirmed" table.
    • Alejandro Leiva will negotiate with the hotel about getting the AEGIS rate.

Virtual Hackfest (15:46 - 16:00)

  • The team feels that this is worth doing.
  • Peter thinks we could have some sessions "live simulcast" but is NOT suggesting video. Perhaps SIP or USB speakerphone. He recommended we:
    • "figure out who isn't attending in person, who would really like to be part of a *specific* discussion"
    • "figure out who we want to have part of a *specific* discussion (e.g. sugar folks, gnome-release folks, Mozilla folks)"
    • "nail those specific things down to a time on the agenda"
    • "have an IRC and audio connection going during those times"
  • Stormy added that we should have people available on IRC during specific times to answer questions of people trying to fix a11y related bugs.
  • Conclusions:
    • Alejandro Piñeiro stated he would raise the above on the a11y list as well as on desktop-devel or planet.gnome.org.
    • Stormy will also start spreading the word about the virtual hackfest, but would like a list of bugs that we need fixed.
    • Joanie will provide a list of the "blocking" bugs from other modules which impact Orca, as well as any other a11y bugs in other modules she is aware of.

eSpeak Improvement Effort at AEGIS (15:58 - 16:02)

  • Peter expects there will be a room running most of Thursday and Friday where people can "come in for language tuning."
  • Peter added that the "AEGIS eSpeak expert" will be present so we might try to get him on the Monday or Wednesday hackfest agenda.
  • Peter is most concerned with the "less well developed" languages in eSpeak.

Gregg Vanderheiden's National Public Inclusive Infrastructure (16:03 - 16:09)

  • "An effort to get gov't funding to help build the various components needed for an inclusive, public infrastructure for a11y"
  • Gregg is the Friday morning keynote speaker. There will likely be a BOF for it sometime Friday late morning/afternoon.
  • Peter might ask to use some hackfest space for 1-2 hours on Friday.
  • (Additional discussion on NPII can be found in the log)

Agenda for the next meeting

  1. AEGIS update
  2. GNOME 2.32 update
  3. GNOME 3.0 update
  4. Miscellaneous

Accessibility/Minutes/20100909 (last edited 2010-09-15 17:08:38 by AlejandroPiñeiro)