Minutes for Accessibility IRC Meeting of July 29th, 2010

  • When: Thursday, July 29th, 15:00 UTC
  • Where: irc.gnome.org, #a11y

Meeting Log

Topics Discussed

AEGIS Funding

  • Alejandro Piñeiro met with the Foundation about the hackfest, going over estimated costs based on the data of the travel committee.
  • Bryen is also looking into other sources of funding.
  • Germán Poo (on the travel committee) told Alejandro that the local government has agreements with hotels and that we should contact Junta de Andalucía
  • Joanie will ask Alejandro Leiva and/or Juanje to see if they can help with this.
  • Bryen hopes to send out formal requests to the other sources of funding soon and is waiting for more specific numbers from us.
  • Alejandro will also approach the Consorcio Fernando de los Ríos as was suggested by Jose Félix.
  • (Chitchat about hotel costs and sponsorships and the meaning of each of the attendee-related tables on the hackfest page.)

  • Alejandro asked people who know they will attend to move themselves to the "Attendees" table (i.e. NOT in the "hopes to come" table)

AEGIS Everything Else

  • Joanie asked Peter for the testing related info and plans from Brian Nitz. Peter said he would work on this.
  • IMPORTANT: When registering for the conference, hackfest attendees should register as a student and use 'GNOME' as the student id.
  • Bryen will send out an email next week asking who can participate at the booth.
  • Booth times are based on the conference program. We should monitor that page for changes and update our schedule as needed.

  • Emergya will be taking care of receiving, delivering, and returning the GNOME EU event box.

  • Peter said that most of the AEGIS user forum will be in Spanish, but thinks the English language segment from 14:00-15:30 will be of interest.


  • Fer reported that gnome-mag's D-Bus implementation was mostly done and committed. "It's there and somehow working." :-)

  • Fer added that some API functions are missing and asked if there might be additional conflicts between gs-mag and gnome-mag.
  • Fer and Joseph will do a review.
  • Joanie asked who will be the gnome-mag maintainer. Fer responded that they are discussing this with Kal.
  • Fer indicated that the plan is to first get the D-Busified gnome-mag working with Orca via its mag.py and then later consider merging mag.py and gsmag.py.


  • Bryen and Mike went to Wesleyan in Connecticut and met with the HFOSS students, and also got to meet Heidi and talk a bit about WNEC.
  • Bryen went to Portland to the Community Leadership Summit, where he had the opportunity to talk to a lot of people about GNOME-A11y and lined up potential sponsors. While in Portland, he went to a BoF for Teaching Open Source with Heidi at OSCON.
  • Heidi reported that:
    • She is hoping to take on the Caribou project on adding keyboards with different layouts.
    • Dexem and Joaquim Rocha offered to vet the initial ideas, but she's not sure if that will include mentoring the students as well.
    • The first class meeting is August 31st. After a week or so of getting up to speed, they will start looking for requirements.
  • Bryen went to Las Vegas to Deaf Expo. While that wasn't supposed to be about GNOME-A11y, he discovered someone is working on getting video relay services for the deaf to work on Linux.

Agenda for the next meeting

AEGIS Conference

Funding Updates

  • Foundation sponsorships
  • Additional funding sources
    • Bryen's potential sponsors
    • Consorcio Fernando de los Ríos
  • Government hotel rate
  • Posters

Other Updates

  • Do we have the testing-related info from Brian Nitz?

GNOME 2.32 and 3.0

  • Any more <strike>fallout</strike> news related to 2.32?

  • Status updates

Accessibility/Minutes/20100729 (last edited 2010-08-04 14:44:53 by AlejandroPiñeiro)