Minutes for Accessibility IRC Meeting of July 8st, 2010
- When: Thursday, July 8st, 6:00 UTC
- Where: irc.gnome.org, #a11y
- Peter Korn proposed (via email) a item about Qt and Meego
- Although it would depend on 'if the Qt/TollTech/Nokia guys were to appear', we are going to include a point there (and move later if required).
- No news from Fernando Herrera, so would assume that CENATIC hasn't arrived to a conclusion.
- No other funding options found (and no Bryen present).
- As Peter Korn said last week, we need to get in contact with foundation soon, using current personal data as a estimation.
- We can search/found alternative funding sources later.
- Qt/Meego point would require to accomodate a extra room on the hackfest.
- Bryen sent a mail to the list asking for the Quartely reports. Gently reminder.
- Bryen and Steve were not present. No update.
- Foundation has confirmed that will pay the booth.
- They will get in contact with Eitan Isaacson to arrange it.
More information on foundation minutes: http://live.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20100624
- Gently general reminder to update the page.
- Directly ask danigm to update status about Evince.
- Goal has started
- But several references to gconf, including the universal access preferences ui
- It is viable a mixed environment where the ui manage gconf vars and gsettings ones?
- People are not sure if the goal is mandatory or "as best as possible".
- Alejandro Piñeiro also points that main gconf var ("/desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility") is defined in a deprecated library lignome
- This could be a good moment to move it to other place, where?
- Mike Gorse thought that it was defined on at-spi2
- Alejandro Piñeiro checked code, and that was not the case
- Alejandro Piñeiro also ask about at-spi2 migration to g_settings.
- Mike Gorse will start with it soon.
- Conclusion: "probably at-spi is a good place to put it, further investigation is required"
- Some weeks without reviewing it.
- Joanie will try to book some time to review it.
- No time to talk about it, same status that previous minutes.
Agenda for the next meeting
Due our mail interchange with Foundation people, we have changed agenda to a unique point:
AEGIS Conference - Funding
- Travel Sponsorships from GNOME
Attendees seeking GNOME Foundation travel sponsorship need to follow the process at http://live.gnome.org/Travel. ASAP.
- We are still waiting to hear back from the Foundation regarding how much is available for travel.
- Other Possibilities / Suggestions from Brian Cameron
- Request a representative from a11y attend an upcoming Board meeting to discuss the need for funding.
- Talk to Stormy about setting up a future Advisory Board meeting where someone from a11y could attend.
- Put together a concrete plan for how the money will be used, showing items of clear value to our typical sponsors.
- Discuss with the GNOME marketing community the idea of doing a Friends of GNOME Campaign for a11y.
Anyway, saving here the rest of the points, so we could use if we have time and for following meetings:
== AEGIS Conference == * Funding * Schedule/Agenda * Other updates == HFOSS/OUTREACH == * HFOSS * WNEC * !LinuxCon-Brazil * Did Bryen provide his description to the gnome-accessibility-list? * Has the booth for CSUN 2011 been confirmed/paid for? == GNOME 3.0 Status == * Reminder: Did you update your areas on the [[Accessibility/GNOME3 | GNOME 3.0 Status page]]? * gnome-mag * GnomeVoiceControl and CSPI * With the new goal about [[GnomeGoal/GSettingsMigration | gsettings migration]], what we are going to do with things like: * [[Accessibility/GNOME3#New_Universal_Access_Preferences_UI | Universal Access Preferences UI]]: it says a lot that the main use is modify gconf settings * Orca is already working on it * Main a11y gconf property "/desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility", and relocate ones, "/desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-corba" are defined on a *deprecated for years* library, libgnome * Should we use this gsettings migration as a good moment to move to a proper place? * Move it where? == Documentation == * Status on cleaning up our documentation for developers * http://library.gnome.org/devel/atk is the official documentation * Why don't we have a http://library.gnome.org/devel/at-spi? What would it take to get that done? * We've got to decide what to do about http://live.gnome.org/GAP (So we have not two, but three a11y sites!) * There's a http://balsa.gnome.org and a http://glade.gnome.org. Could/should we have an accessibility.gnome.org? (And if so, whom do we ask?) == Other == * https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=591258