A11y BoF - GUADEC 2013
6 August ~ Brno, Czech Repbulic
LibreOffice + Orca
- Introduced the Red Hat developers to how to debug their GUI implementation using Orca and Accerciser
- Identified several bugs and their causes/fixes in a "typical" new LO dialog
- A11y fixes resulting from the Red Hat fixes will be put back into Fedora 19
Text Boundaries in ATK/AT-SPI2
- Identified new (and final) way to move forward.
- Description sent to the gnome-accessibility-devel list
- Prototype written (tests pending) for at-spi2-core, at-spi2-atk and atk
AT-SPI and Key Snooping and X, Oh My!
- Performance is an issue but we don't know why. Must profile!
- Piñeiro and Keith (core X developer) discussed various means to implement this
- Possibility of Orca/ATs registering keys they might wish to consume (i.e. so apps don't have wait for the never-consumed events)
- Listen to mouse events via xinput2.
- Number 1 priority: Add settings to gsettings-desktop-schemas (API freeze is 19 August and the magnifier depends on the settings).
- Magdalen will restore her jhbuild environment and test her current changes. Then she will make Joseph's suggested changes and submit a new patch.
- Next step is to work on the GUI and get it as far as possible before GSoC ends.
Default/Enabled Keyboard Shortcuts for Starting/Stopping ATs
- Piñeiro talked to Jakub about this issue. Jakub suggested Super as the modifier.
- Piñeiro will file a bug and submit a patch.
Focus and Caret Tracking
- Can we remove the Gtk3 module? What functionality would we lose?
- After the tracker has been added to gnome-shell, can Caribou use it?
- Should the new tracker notify clients about extents (widget, caret) since both the magnifier and caribou calculate them in response to the events?
Daiki demonstrated a work-in-progress, but already pretty functional scanning mode. (See bug 697168)
- Some bugs were discovered during this demo.
- We should target this as a proposed new feature for 3.12, both because of bugs and because of the need for a GUI which will require Design Team input.
Input and Layouts
- Design Team help needed:
- How to switch between input and layouts
- How and where to select predictive text
- Add i18n layouts (Alexander provided Russian layout)
- maybe add a tool to generate layout files
UI for Magnifier Tint
- Piñeiro will talk to the Design Team about this.
Deprecated Events Need Deprecating
- Our decision to deprecate the focus: event (in favor of object:state-changed:focused) seems to be something only we know.
- We need to properly deprecate this event and give a heads-up to the appropriate parties